Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU Speed changes?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/05/2003 04:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/05/2003 04:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jgoodman00

I have a Compaq Evo laptop with an XP2000 processor. However, the operating frequency of the CPU seems to vary wildly. For example, earlier this morning it was reporting that it was operating at just 525MHz. In the last few minutes this appears to have increased to the full expected 1.66GHz.

Does anybody know what controls this, & what dictates the way it works?

(I am aware that running on battery power will alter this, but this fluctuation occurs on mains power)
 11/05/2003 12:41 PM

Author Icon
AlexRuiz

PowerNow! It adjusts itself in a dynamic way to allow the cPU to work at the needed pace.

Do you really need to change it?
 11/05/2003 12:49 PM

Author Icon
jgoodman00

Ok cheers.

I dont need to change it, but would like to understand the mechanism which dictates it...
 11/09/2003 11:09 AM

Author Icon
weppy

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario 900, and my laptop is using a mobile AMD Athlon XP 1400+.
When I start my laptop, and when Windows log on, and I right click "My Computer" and choose Property, I also get the message that my cpu is running at 524 MHz.

When I cancel, and follow the same steps again, I get the message or the dialog box 1.19 Ghz.

My first question; what could be wrong?
And my second question; how can I fix this??

Westly
 11/10/2003 12:18 PM

Author Icon
mvancoughnett

PowerNow works in conjunction with the "Power Schemes" in your Power Option Properties. I was only interested in setting my notebook to run at maximum capacity so I don't recall exactly which Power Scheme setting coincides with the other PowerNow settings though (I have six options in my Power Schemes). The three PowerNow settings that I am aware of are...Automatic where the system monitors usage and adjusts the CPU accordingly, High Performance mode where the processor gets set to it's maximum potential, and a Power Saver mode that sets the processor to run at the lowest frequency possible. If you go into your Power Option Properties and set your Power Scheme to "Always On", that should force your CPU to run at maximum potential. You will have to play around with the other schemes to see which one coincides with the other two PowerNow settings if they interest you. It worked with my notebook...Hope it helps!
 11/10/2003 12:39 PM

Author Icon
WoolyMammoth

QUOTE (mvancoughnett @ Nov 10 2003, 09:18 AM)PowerNow works in conjunction with the "Power Schemes" in your Power Option Properties.  I was only interested in setting my notebook to run at maximum capacity so I don't recall exactly which Power Scheme setting coincides with the other PowerNow settings though (I have six options in my Power Schemes).  The three PowerNow settings that I am aware of are...Automatic where the system monitors usage and adjusts the CPU accordingly, High Performance mode where the processor gets set to it's maximum potential, and a Power Saver mode that sets the processor to run at the lowest frequency possible.  If you go into your Power Option Properties and set your Power Scheme to "Always On", that should force your CPU to run at maximum potential.  You will have to play around with the other schemes to see which one coincides with the other two PowerNow settings if they interest you.  It worked with my notebook...Hope it helps!
The 3 PowerNow states are:
None (always on)
Adaptive (lowest <- -> highest)
Degrade (lowest)

XP's power schemes are as follows:

Scheme: AC Power (DC Power)

Home/Office Desktop: None (Adaptive)
Portable/Laptop : Adaptive (Adaptive)
Presentation: Adaptive (Degrade)
Always On: None (None)
Minimal Power Management: Adaptive (Adaptive)
Maximum Battery: Adaptive (Degrade)

I stick with Portable/Laptop unless I'm running low on battery in which case I switch to Maximum Battery.

Hope this helps.

Wooly
 11/12/2003 10:41 PM

Author Icon
Triangles

for whatever reason my power options don't give me all the choices. WinXP SP1.0a. I did find a handy utility called speedswitchXP. If you're interested do a google search for it.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information