AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: XP-M 2800+ in HP zv5404us running at 797mhz?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/08/2005 04:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/08/2005 04:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
oppi

Hello, first time here. I bought my hp pavillion notebook zv5404us a while back. Recently its been running really slow. Cleaned it out, no viruses or spy/ad ware. got 512 of ram which has always had it running fast in the past.

I checked in the control panel/system and it shows the CPU at 797mhz for a XP-M 2800+ CPU. I know you wont get the whole 2800/2.8. I talked to HP and they tolf me powernow was doing this and said to change to home/office or always on in the power options to get the CPU to run at full speed all the time. This changed nothing. Still slow and showing 797 mhz?

Anyone got a solution to get this thing running full time in the 1.5-2 ghz range???

thanks
dan
 11/08/2005 04:45 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

crunch some work units for folding etc and see the speed increase...

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/19/2006 08:55 AM

Author Icon
mikeyd73

QUOTE(MD Willington @ Nov 8 2005, 04:45 PM)crunch some work units for folding etc and see the speed increase...
[right][snapback]541193[/snapback][/right]

Can someone please interpret the above statement for me? I am having the exact same problem, but with a different board (ECS 760GX-M). I do not understand the reply to the original post. Thanks!
 01/19/2006 11:47 AM

Author Icon
oppi

QUOTE(mikeyd73 @ Jan 19 2006, 09:55 AM)Can someone please interpret the above statement for me?  I am having the exact same problem, but with a different board (ECS 760GX-M).  I do not understand the reply to the original post.  Thanks!
[right][snapback]598936[/snapback][/right]

He means to open a ton on programs ans files while watching the processor speed and it will go up under the demand of the work load. Only problem is that when i did that nothing changed. My only assumption here is that, a multiplier of some sort is working in there and making my pc work faster than the 797mhz. I know i am not running that slow. I have tried everything including changing all my settings to always on in the power options menu, which again is supposed to make it say its full running speed all the time and didnt. I am out of ideas.

dan
 01/20/2006 12:25 PM

Author Icon
mikeyd73

QUOTE(oppi @ Jan 19 2006, 11:47 AM)He means to open a ton on programs ans files while watching the processor speed and it will go up under the demand of the work load.  Only problem is that when i did that nothing changed.  My only assumption here is that, a multiplier of some sort is working in there and making my pc work faster than the 797mhz.  I know i am not running that slow.  I have tried everything including changing all my settings to always on in the power options menu, which again is supposed to make it say its full running speed all the time and didnt.  I am out of ideas. 

dan
[right][snapback]599017[/snapback][/right]

I called tech support and found out what my problem was. Below is a summary of the problem I was having and the solution. Hopefully this information may be of use to someone as confused as I was.

I bought my motherboard and cpu as a packaged deal. Apparently the stock version of the motherboard did not support the xp-m 2800+, so a customized bios was written to support it. When I first ran the system, the chip was running at 1600 Mhz, but all the documentation I could find said that this chip was supposed to run at 2133 Mhz. I suspected there may have been a problem with the bios, so downloaded an update from the ECS website and flashed it. Even though the new bios was compatible with the motherboard, it apparently did not correctly identify the cpu, so the speed decreased further to 797 Mhz. I finally found out that there are 4 different versions of this cpu and 1600 Mhz was the correct speed for the one I had. I flashed back to the original bios and everything is running fine for now.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information