Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 64 barebones question!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/14/2005 10:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/14/2005 10:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
simonsez

Ok guys and gals - I'm a new member here, but i've grown up on AMD (well - mostly - the last 3 computers i've owned were AMD)

I have a question for you guys regarding this barebones laptop. The link for it is:
http://www.citrusmicro.com/ind...ctio...ails&ItemID=213' ">http://www.citrusmicro.com/ind...ViewDetails&ItemID=213

Now my question is this...

I currently have an AMD64 3200+ (clawhammer) running exactly at 2.0 ghz. It has 1mb l2 cache. I'm not a dummy when it comes to computer lingo, I'm just wondering if I can stick this baby (she's a 754) in there and she'll be fine running the system.

Now - whenever I do a newegg search for my cpu - it always comes up as "notebook" - does DTR stand for Desktop Run - or what? Is the main thing she's going to get a different vcore (instead of 1.5) and get hot?

I basically just want that because it has a kick [content edited] video card, i have my own cpu and harddrive - and I'll just pick up two sticks of 1gig memory with another credit card. I guess the big reasons are BUDGET! I simply cannot afford to fork out $1100 for an AMD64 3200 laptop plus (with that sort of video memory anyways).

any replies would be great - I'm going to be doing a little bit of searching. but please - help me out, cuz I need to decide asap if this will work! (many MANY thanks in advance)
 11/15/2005 08:14 AM

Author Icon
miner

The sockets are the same but I wouldnt recommend it. The laptop is designed for a 25W or 35W TDP processors. The DTR clawhammer has a TDP of 81.5W, if yours is a dektop version then the TDP is 89W. Also they run at 1.5V compared to the 1.3V of the Turion/mobile Semoron that it is designed for. I doubt that the cooling system will be able to handle the additional heat.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 11/15/2005 01:17 PM

Author Icon
simonsez

crap, thats what I thought. Thank you for clarifying that miner.

Well then - anyone interested in a CG revision of an 3200 /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
Oh, and I figured out what DTR means - desktop replacement! hooray! i'm smart /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information