AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: zv6000 Upgradable Processor?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/20/2005 08:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/20/2005 08:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jamesrwright

I am new to the notebook scene. I have an HP Athlon 2800 system that I love, but I want the flexibility of the notebook. I went to Best Buy tonight and they were out of the HP 3200 Athlon 64 system. I was about to get a P4 Gateway, but decided against it, primarily for reasons of cost. I don't need that much speed. I am done with computer gaming and am going to be playing on dedicated game consoles. I just need something that I can check e-mail and do some multimedia stuff on and maybe take with me to grad school.

I think from what I gathered the zv6000 has an upgradable processor?
The reason I am asking is the local walmart had one when I called. I was weary about buying a Sempron since I was thinking more along the lines of an Athlon 64 system, but from what I have read, the Semprons are a pretty nimble chip especially for all I would be using it for. However, the only reason I would purchase a Sempron system instead of an Athlon is if I have the option to upgrade to a faster 64 chip down the road to increase the life of my laptop. Would that be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
 10/21/2005 12:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
miner

QUOTE(jamesrwright @ Oct 20 2005, 04:48 PM)I am new to the notebook scene. I have an HP Athlon 2800 system that I love, but I want the flexibility of the notebook. I went to Best Buy tonight and they were out of the HP 3200 Athlon 64 system. I was about to get a P4 Gateway, but decided against it, primarily for reasons of cost. I don't need that much speed. I am done with computer gaming and am going to be playing on dedicated game consoles. I just need something that I can check e-mail and do some multimedia stuff on and maybe take with me to grad school.

I think from what I gathered the zv6000 has an upgradable processor?
The reason I am asking is the local walmart had one when I called. I was weary about buying a Sempron since I was thinking more along the lines of an Athlon 64 system, but from what I have read, the Semprons are a pretty nimble chip especially for all I would be using it for. However, the only reason I would purchase a Sempron system instead of an Athlon is if I have the option to upgrade to a faster 64 chip down the road to increase the life of my laptop. Would that be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
[right][snapback]527901[/snapback][/right]

Yes, the processor is upgradable since HP uses socket 939 Semprons and Athlon64(so they are pin compatible). From HP's online service manual( http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf' ">http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf ) the procesoors are socketed and can be removed. The process is also detailed in the service manual.

But I would say for the uses you suggested the Sempron would do just fine. They are the best processors in terms of value/performance. /wub.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wub.gif' />

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information