Increase font size
Topic Title: Duron swap for an XP-M
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2005 10:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2005 10:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
schleeb

I've purchased a 266MHz 2400+ AMD Athlon XP-M (1.35v 35 watt) processor and am going to do a straight swap with the current 1 GHz Duron processor currently installed in a Compaq Presario 730US notebook computer. It has no capabilities for adjusting anything in the BIOS... Right now it has the following gleaned from CPUID:

Internal clock 996.54 MHz
System clock 99.65 MHz
System Bus 199.31 MHz DDR
Multiplier 10.0
Memory 480 Mb Speed 132.86 MHz (RAM is PC-133 variety...)

L1 I-Cache 64K
L1 D-Cache 64 K
L2 Cache 64K
L2 Speed 996.54 MHz

I'm hoping it will give it a little more pizazz than it currently has. I also have a 5400 RPM 8Mb cache 40Gb Hitachi hard drive that is going in as well, replacing the stock 4200 RPM 20 Gb, 2Mb cache Hitachi drive. Based on what I know, which isn't much, I'm hoping this will help in curing it's sluggishness. So is it going to accomplish much or am I going to just wind up with... a 1GHz Athlon XP-M?
 02/23/2005 04:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dsf260

I'm not too familiar w/ you computer, but your specs look a bit weird.

The 2400+ XP-M 35W that I own has a max multiplier of 13.5, not 10. On a 133 system mhz system, this allows for a max speed of 1800 Mhz. On a system like the way yours is currently configured, it should give you a max speed of 1350 Mhz.

Now your system has a 100 mhz internal system bus, and a 10x multiplier. My 2400+ desktop processor has a 15x multiplier, which allows for a chip speed of 2000 Mhz.

Your system looks like it has a system bus at 100 mhz, but a memory bus at 133 mhz. This is possible, but not optimal--but it does make sense for a motherboard that originally had an older Duron installed.

There are probably 2 things going on here:

1) Your system is being forced to run w/ a 100 mhz system bus. If your chipset supports a 133 bus, usually there is a jumper on the motherboard or a setting in the bios to switch it. If you can figure out how to switch it, you will be able to bump up your speeds to 1330 mhz.

2) Your system seems to have been locked to a max multiplier of 10. Some boards have that constraint.

Some potential solutions:

1) get the latest bios from Compaq, install it, and see if there are any new options. More than likely, they came out with some onfigurations with higher multipliers, and it might alleviate some of these issues.

2) Find that jumper

3) While booting up and in the bios, try hitting F8 or F11...often times this will bring up an expert menu.

4) Try an overclocking tool. This may allow you to get your system speed up to 133, but it will also overclock your memory to 166. Overclocking is never a great idea on a laptop, but everything should be in spec as long as your memory can support that fast speed (which honestly is doubtful) and your board can really handle a 133 bus. You should be ok for a 10% bump though.

To do this, you will need to find your PLL chip on your motherboard, which can be a real chore on a laptop. Check out Podien CPUCool for instructions on how to figure out which chip it is and what to do with it. You might have to remove your mboard from the case to find it--which can be a real pain.

5) Try a tool like CrystalCPUID. These allow for dynamic changes in multipliers, and it might help you get past the 10 barrier. Don't try anything above 13.5, as your proc doesn't support it.

6) Try one of those XP adapters from upgradeware or powerleap. These may or may not work, and they could cause some serious problems with your heat sink clearance, but if all else fails, they might work. Absoultely no promises on this though.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information