Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 2400+ XP-M problems with USB 2.0 adapter
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/23/2005 03:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/23/2005 03:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Extant

Ok, I have been trying to find a real answer to my problem that I have found in the AMD XP-M processors (At least the 2400+)! I have an HP notebook ze4430 that i bought about 1 1/2 years ago, which came with USB 1.1! Then I decided that I needed more HD space, so I went out and bought an external HD (maxtor 120 GB Onetouch) that only had usb 2.0 (not firewire)! So after about a year of crappy speeds, I just went out and bought a USB 2.0 adapter card (Belkin 2 port)! Well, that is where the problem came, after going through 2 different PCMICA cards with EXTREEMELY SLOW speeds, I came to the conclusion that it was the processor slowing down the USB 2.0 connection. I found this out NOT through HP, NOT through AMD, but through Maxtor! I get speeds at some points SLOWER than usb 1.1! I have done absolutly everything that i can think of: updated BIOS, updated microsoft patches, installed a patch for my PCMICA card, reinstalled Windows, and then the only think that actually speeds up the transfer is to adjust the power setting to either ALWAYS ON or HOME/OFFICE DESK! But, the problem with that is that my computer becomes a VERY HOT OVEN, with the fan running extreemly loud and radiating heat! Does anybody here have a solution or have a similar problem with some sort of answer? Thank you very much!
 03/23/2005 09:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lcbsr1

Hello
I have the same laptop that you have. To really get the speed you need is to use the firewire. If you can remove that hard drive, there are firewire case the harddrive can be dropped into. There is a company 'altex.com' that has firewire or USB or a combo of both type case you can drop a hard drive.

LCB
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information