Increase font size
Topic Title: Difference between XP-M2400+ and XP-M2600+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/24/2003 07:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/24/2003 07:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mgroarty

I recently bought a Laptop and when it arrived there was a note to the effect "Sorry for the delay, we have a shortage of components to contruct your required order. We have therefore replaced the AMD Athlon XP-M2600+ processor with a low power usage Athlon XP-M2400. This has reduced performance of about 3% but will increase battery life usage by about 30%." Is this true? How can i tell if the processor installed is Low power and will increase battery life? My control panel/system settings just displays a general desription stating that I have an AMD Athlon 2400 processor installed at 1.79Ghz. The BIOS also states this. Where can i find info. on the performance capabilites of both processors, i'm not having much luck!

On a side note my new laptop was also meant to have 512Mb DDR RAM it displays 480Mb RAM. I have heard that on laptops the memory is shared with the Graphics card etc. Is this true? If so i have a 32Mb graphics card which would explain the deduction! if not what may cause this?

Thanks in advance for any help, i'm just trying to ensure i'm not being ripped off.

Michael
 10/24/2003 08:19 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

There are different versions of the Athlon XP-M processor:
'Low-power' - 1.25 - 1.35V Vcore(i think), µPGA package(different pin configuration from OPGA XP-Ms) - 25-35W max power consumption.
'Mainstream' - 1.45V Vcore, OPGA-package - 35-45W max power consumption
'Desktop Replacement' - 1.45-1.65V Vcore, OPGA-package - 45-72W max power consumption.

now the XP-M 2600+ is only available as a 'Desktop Replacement'-version, AFAIK.
It has a 1.65V Vcore and a 72W max power consumption.
For the XP-M 2400+, there are both 'Desktop Replacement' and 'Mainstream'-versions.
The DTR-version has a 1.6V Vcore and a 72W max power consumption, whereas the 'Mainstream'-variant has only 1.45V Vcore and a 45W max power consumption.
IF they gave you the 'Mainstream'-version of the XP-M 2400+, you will indeed have a significantly longer battery life and not that much impact on performance, since both the 2400+ and 2600+ are based on the Barton-core(512KB L2-cache).

The easiest way to find out is to check your CPU's Vcore. If it isn't displayed in BIOS, you will need some software to find out...try MBM5(dunno if that works on a laptop, tho) or SiSoft Sandra 2004.

And yes, your laptop has prolly shared memory graphics which steals some of your system ram

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 10/25/2003 09:03 AM

Author Icon
ksama

well said Greyhound, and yes, there shouldn't be a great deal of difference between 2400+ and 2600+, because there's only probably 100Mhz of real frequency difference between them. In fact, if I was you, I would go for the 2400+ lower voltage CPU at the first place.

And yeah, more likely your ram are being shared by your graphic card, not too sure how to check it though. Normally laptop bios doesn't have a lot of configuration available. But if your laptop is those quite thin type, then most likely you have a graphic card which shares memory. But when you have 512mb, there isn't much to worry about.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information