AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Help with correct settings!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/10/2004 03:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/10/2004 03:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mighty Man

I just got an Mobile Athlon XP 2200 for its low power output to try and put a nice quiet desktop machine together. Specs are supposed to be Athlon XP 2200 (133x13.5 = 1.8Ghz @ 1.45V).

However, when I installed it on an Epox 8K3A motherboard, all kinds of funky things started to happen. When it first started up, it reported a Mobile Athlon XP 800Mhz, which didn't faze me at all.

When I went into the BIOS to reset it, I put it at 133x13 (it doesn't have a 13.5 multiplier), and set it to 1.45V. I wouldn't boot up at all. Resetting the BIOS and trying it again, it wouldn't start up. Ditto at 1.475V. At 1.5V it came up, but the startup screen lists it as "Unknown CPU" at 1666Mhz (133x12.5).

This is very odd, partly because it doesn't run at what the chip is supposed to, and when it finally does run, the multiplier is one that doesn't even exist in the setup menu!

What gives? Anyone have advice or suggestions?
MM

P.S. Also, MBM apparently reads 194F for the CPU and 77F for the case. I'm assuming that's not right either (hopefully!.
 04/11/2004 05:27 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Well, you are trying to run a mobile-part in your desktop-motherboard...
While this is generally possible, it doesn't always work exactly as it should, especially when using older motherboards

As you might know, mobile CPUs do NOT have their multipliers locked...consequently, they like to boot up at a lower 'start-up'-multiplier(usually x6.0) when run in a desktop-motherboard at default settings(no manual adjustment of the multiplier).

What's your processors OPN(Ordering Part Number)?
While 45W Mainstream-parts with a 1.45V Vcore seem to be the most common mobile-parts, there are 72W Desktop-replacement parts that typically require a higher Vcore(1.60V for the DTR AXP-M 2200+).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 04/11/2004 07:26 AM

Author Icon
Mighty Man

Yes, I realize that I'm trying to run a mobile part in my desktop....and no, nothing ever works *exactly* as it should when building computers. I try and blame it on the OS.

But seriously...yes, I'm aware that they're multiplier unlocked, which is part of the reason why I chose this particular part. I had read in several places that people had great luck with the mobile athlons for HTPC applications because of the reduced power comsumption and therefore reduced heat generation.

I happened to pick this particular part because it was the fastest Thoroughbred core available (knowing that the motherboard wouldn't support Barton, or I would have gotten the 2500+), and all the specs seemed to be within reasonable range of the Epox 8K3A motherboard I had set aside for this project.

Cooling is provided by a Thermalright SLK-947U (a nice beefy copper heatsink) with a 92mm Panaflo modded down to 7V (to help quiet the unit).

The OPN that I ordered was a AXMH2200FQQ3C from Newegg.com, though in hindsight, I probably should have done the smart thing and double checked the CPU itself before I put it together.
 04/11/2004 07:43 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE The OPN that I ordered was a AXMH2200FQQ3C from Newegg.com, though in hindsight, I probably should have done the smart thing and double checked the CPU itself before I put it together.
hmmm... that's a 45W Mainstream part with 1.45V default-VCore.
AFAIK, newegg only sells Mainstream-parts anyways.

Since you have a VIA-based motherboard, you might want to try and experiment with CPUMSR' ">http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Download.htm to get your CPU up to its default speed in window$.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information