Increase font size
Topic Title: extendable notebook
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/13/2006 09:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/13/2006 09:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dacian

Hi,
I've been thinking about this for a long time but I'm not sure if it is possible.
I like both that my laptop is light and very powerful but you can't have it all. Or maybe not at the same time.
So here is my idea of a notebook. It will have the following components:
1. one normal laptop which will expose at the bottom an HT connector and an SLI link or crossfire.
2. the second component would be the same as the first but will have no screen and it will serve as docking station. It will also expose an SLI/Crossfire connector and an HT connector. This component will not have any hdd maybe just some FLASH.
3. and a power source convertor that would either be part of the second component or it has a socket to connect to it

What it would be great and I don't know if it would be acheaveable is to stack this two components. When you are on the road you have just one cpu and gpu and when you can connect to a sockect you dock your laptop to your docking station and get a very powerfull computer.

I tried to suggest this idea to the manufacturers using AMD cpus but they have no forums where one can submit this kind of suggestion.

I'm perfectly aware that if someone detaches the docking station the whole thing goes bezerk but this will be the job of the designer of the case to see that the whole thing stays as one in the first place and that is solid ofcourse. And if one is wondering about shocks then in anycase if the design is good if the notebook receives such a shock that it breaks the two parts it will probably break a normal notebook anyway.

What I'm saying is that it would be really great to have something like this. Especially now with MS going ape with graphics. When you are on the road you have some graphics support and more or less long batery life. When you get close to a power source you get a really awesome machine that you can use even as workstation or game machine.

I'm not sure if it is possible but if it is it would be really great if someone that it can actually do something about it knows it.

dacian
 11/15/2006 06:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
anonxxx

For future notebook extension, it's better to use Wireless USB (1 Gbps) or External PCI-Express (from Molex).

HTX is not suitable for notebook, only for servers/supercomputers.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information