AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Decrease frequency manually.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/19/2006 05:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2006 05:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zvorygin

I have rather old asus a3d notebook with amd athlon mobile 2800+ processor. Processor is very-very-very hot. I think you should remove word "mobile" from it's name. It's heating killed my laptop li-ion battery so it can now ran only from external power supply. It's fan is very-very noisy. I can't even wach films silently: I have to increase volume to hear voice better through fan growling. So here goes the question: is there any way to manually decrease cpu frequency to 400 MHz, which is enough to watch movies and browse web pages, and if there's any way to increase temperature level at which fan begins to spin. I believe that if my AMD CPU had been working fine at 55C for two years, it'll work fine at 65C and warm my hands during this cold Russian winter. Now when I typing this post, my laptop torn on and off fan with period of 15 seconds. I'm wonder why I'm still not crazy with this annoying noise and fan behavior.

In linux everything is fine. I work at 400MHz and use full processor power only when I need to compile some sources or compress video. Windows powernow and coll&quiet support is little stupid I suppose, and I haven't found any tool from AMD at this site. It looks like AMD supports now only 64bit and sempron processors. It's very hard to find anything not useless for athlon XP-M processor. Only bunch of tools to read cpu frequency, cpuid, bus frequency and other useless stuff. All this useless data was written on my laptop box what for do I need a lot of this programs? Why don't you write one good driver for cool n' quiet or powernow support and increase usability of "downloads" section at this site.

Thank you.
 11/25/2006 11:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lucas_m

You can try ClockGen to reduce FSB of your CPU.
It works under Windows and is pretty easy to use
I am not sure if you will be able to reduce speed to 400MHz as I (with my Athlon 64 2000MHz) was able to reduce it to "only" 1000MHz (so by a half of initial speed), but I think it should be fine for you
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information