Increase font size
Topic Title: HP with Turion X2 issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/25/2006 03:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/25/2006 03:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
marcinello2

Hi,

I don't see too many posts here, but there is chance, that my words will be read by AMD/ATI engineers.

I try to use AMD/ATI product 3rd time for personal computing:

1st attempt - Athlon (after socket version, before XP) + ASUS MB with VIA chipset. Nightmare. Problems with lost files, etc. etc.

2nd attempt - AGP ATI graphics from 9500/9700 series + Silencer. Good hardware (sharp 2D graphic, nice 3D too) + worse Catalysts drivers (especially with CCC).

3rd attempt - HP notebook with Turion X2 & ATI chipset & ATI Express 1150. Some wrong things + questions + comments:

* RAMs - is anywhere in Internet page describing models compatible with such config ? I have lost long time for trying chips from known manufacturers (Kingson, Corsair....) and finally end with cheap GoodRAM (they're OK). Many people have similiar problems and it seems to be Turion RAM controller problem. Maybe ATI/AMD team will do something with it ?

* graphic - Catalyst 6.9 still don't have INF for chip 0x5975 "from factory" (it's enough to make the same config like for chip 0x5974). This is important for ordinary users - HP don't update "their" driver, other manufacturers too.

* price - I wanted to buy notebook supporting all possible X86 commands. Core2 Duo have SSE4, but no all 3DNow variants. So, I had to stay with AMD. I must say, that current politics is strange - AMD want to have more customers than Intel, but AMD based notebooks are priced higher and there are some other problems too. I will describe what is wrong for example with HP:

** in many (my) countries you can't for example select config with the best CPU and worse screen resolution (some people can't read too small chars).

** not updated BIOS (they ignore reports from many people)

** you can't buy Turion X2 config without HP Windows (which is shipped without "install" version, contains many useless things and security bugs)

** you have update problems - for example you can't buy HDD frame without HDD

I write it all, because maybe AMD/ATI people will find some way to remove some of these problems. For example - create WWW with info about Turion X2 compatible, will speak about these problems with HP, will update own drivers... Dreams, but maybe...

My final comment: I know, what I have bought. I'm not 100% happy and I will have to think again before buying AMD/ATI. I gave them three chances and (in summary) I can give only 1,5 from 3 points. From the second side: I like concurrence. I hope, that my opinion will help in improving offer to AMD/ATI team.
 10/01/2006 05:16 PM

Author Icon
marcinello2

more on nx6325 issues (especially interesting for you could be list of working/non working RAM modules) on http://www.gammu.org/wiki/index.php?title=Nx6325
 10/03/2006 06:24 AM

Author Icon
wpyung

Has anyone managed to use 4GB successfully on the NX6325 ?

Only 3GB seems to be usable even from a 64bit Linux like FC5.

I have logged a case on bugzilla
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bu...show_bug.cgi?id=208843

If I upgrade the RAM to 4GB, immediately after booting I get this message:

The following configuration options were automatically updated: Total memory installed:3014656

However I go into the BIOS F10, then 4GB is shown and a full memory test of the 4GB works OK.

Windows XP SP2 can partially see the 4GB of RAM using msinfo32, but not from task manager - so I'm not sure whether it gets used.

Bugzilla recommended this
Have you tried to turn of "PCI remapping" in the BIOS? It could be called "IOMMU 4GB remap" or something like that - each BIOS vendor calls it differently.

Unfortunately there is no such option in the BIOS and HP wont support Linux...

Does anyone know if this setting is applicable to the dual core Turion , or have any ideas how we can use the full 4GB ?

Our company needs 4GB of RAM to run the software we sell, so we are keen to get this working...
Any help or suggestions appreciated..

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information