Increase font size
Topic Title: Choosing a laptop!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/09/2006 05:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/09/2006 05:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
joshier

Budget, around £455. I can stretch to 550 (but then i won't be able to use the wireless internet because i need a wireless router, i'll just have to use cable until i saved up more money)
--- So, what i mean to say is that.. i can stretch to this extra budget, but only if it is worth it.

Thin and light laptop (15"), will consider small than 15" but budget may effect this choice

Will use it for basic tasks, internet browsing, downloading, watching movies and no games.

Will be moving it places sometimes

Don't mind any brands!

Battery life (2 hours plus)

Will buy online

United Kingdom

Want WXGA for wide screen movies.

Style doesn't count hugely, but it is a bonus i would like if it looked nice

Drive space doesn't mater, 40gb will do fine

Need dvd reader and cd reader. cd writer a bonus

Also, the laptops i've tried researching were

Acer TravelMate 2403WXMi
Acer Aspire 3613WLMi
Toshiba Satellite Pro M40

My main focus points;

- Reliability
- Lightweight
- Good LCD
- Good build quality
- Good navigation on the touch pad

Additional notes;
1. I will end up buying some more ram (as the ones i've comr across have 256) and i want the final ram to be around 512 or higher, so I am willing to buy bare-bones of a laptop (since i have had experience with building computers)

2. I know the centrino is a "rip-off" as some people like to say, but i am not bothered about having a celeron cpu with extra wireless features.

3. I don't really want any software included, i have purchased all of what i need already. (so perhaps i would be better off with OEM)

4. CrystalBrite (or whatever the company decides to call it) would be nice.

5. I'm not sure about this next one, but i've noticed some laptops have the battery external, i cannot decide if i want this or not! i mean, wouldn't it make sence if the battery was built in since if i did want to move the laptop around (i would be actually moving it away from my lap/desktop, so therefore it would be in "portable mode" and would have to use the battery) and what does it matter if i have the battery connected whilst i am using it on my desk?.. i don't care if it weighs a hundred pounds whilst on my desk.. So, i guess that having the battery INSIDE the laptop would be the better option.
Thanks!
 03/10/2006 10:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Prelude76

I just bought an Acer Aspire 5002 WLCi.

512mb ram, 60gb drive, DVD reader / CD burner, AMD64 Turion 1.6ghz (ML-30), wireless b/g, 15.4" WXGA.

I bought it for same reasons, mostly to watch movies and to do wireless internet.

I love it! case is quite nice and thin (thinner than comparable Compaq systems) and the Turion chip rocks!

I use a program called RMClock, and i set it to drop to 0.875V on battery, and on full load (1.6ghz) it can do it on only 1.05V! That is just phenomenal! that gives about 3:15 minutes on a full charge, maybe a bit more (didnt try it to see actual time it can last).

To go from default 1.4V to 1.05V and still run 100% stable is quite an amazing thing.

I bought it refurbished for about $790 CAD. New, it was on sale for $880 CAD. That's about 395 to 440 pounds.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information