Increase font size
Topic Title: Is AMD Turion flawed?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/02/2006 03:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/02/2006 03:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
granvazquez

I have recently purchased an AMD Turion based Laptop. The Model is a V2000 Presario and while using some of the common applications like Excel, Word and VISIO (all Microsoft programs) I encountered and issue while trying to copy and paste graphics and charts from these applications to Microsoft PowerPoint.
The problem was that I could not paste any chart to PowerPoint, in fact a pop up window said that I did not have enough memory space (but I have 1 GB of RAM and only Excel and PowerPoint simultaneously open).

When commenting about these, some one out there told me that some special features on certain Microsoft programs like Excel (working with Macros) would not run correctly in AMD processors. Does any one know if this is true since AMD has been out there for a while???

Please advice.
Thanks!
 06/02/2006 03:11 PM

Author Icon
stealth13777

not true.. im sure someone else will be able to explain exactly why, but basically amd and intel chips can do the same things, they just have slightly different ways of doing it (what makes one chip faster than another)

-------------------------
-The Desktop: Abit NF7-S V2 w/ the old AXP-M 2500+ (OC'd) and TT Volcano 12, 1 gig RAM, 37GB WD Raptor, 80Gb Hitachi, XFX NVidia GEForce FX 5700LE (OC'd), Enermax Aluminum Case and XClio 450watt psu, DL DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM (+ floppy)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Everyday:HP Laptop 15.4WS w/Turion64x2 TL-56, 2gig, 160gb, Lightscribe DVD-R/RW, NVidia graphics, Vista
 06/03/2006 01:48 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

Can you post a picture of your "Virtual Memory" settings from inside "Control Panel/System"?

My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 06/03/2006 04:01 PM

Author Icon
F15HP

quote:

Originally posted by: richardbarns
I have recently purchased an AMD Turion based Laptop. The Model is a V2000 Presario and while using some of the common applications like Excel, Word and VISIO (all Microsoft programs) I encountered and issue while trying to copy and paste graphics and charts from these applications to Microsoft PowerPoint.
The problem was that I could not paste any chart to PowerPoint, in fact a pop up window said that I did not have enough memory space (but I have 1 GB of RAM and only Excel and PowerPoint simultaneously open).

When commenting about these, some one out there told me that some special features on certain Microsoft programs like Excel (working with Macros) would not run correctly in AMD processors. Does any one know if this is true since AMD has been out there for a while???

Please advice.
Thanks!

Who ever told you that AMD processors would not run correctly is wrong because the virtual memory is controlled by windows and don't have nothing to do with processor. The only thing you can do is check how much space you have alocated in the HD for the viertual memory and increased.

<br>HP DV2125nr AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 4GB RAM, 120GB 5400 rpm HD, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 128MB
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information