Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Help in Upgrading my HPdv8305us
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/09/2006 03:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/09/2006 03:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jengofet

Aloha,
I am new to this forum and this question may have already been asked so if I am repeating something I do apologize.

I just purchased a new HP dv8305us Laptop with an AMD Turion 64. What I am curious about is if it possible to upgrade this chip to the new AMD dual core chip and which one would be best for my laptop? I plan on using that particular laptop as a dedicated laptop for on the road film editing as I am a freelance camerawoman and I needed the laptop in order to be able to better edit video quickly and on the go. I travel to areas where moving rather fast is a neccessity so this laptop will be solely dedicated to the task of editing the video that I shoot and making it ready to be shown as soon as I get it done I am already operating the laptop with Sprints new Mobile Internet Card which works really well by the way....download times are only slightly slower than broadband and I have yet to lose a signal or get hung up or booted off the net using it.

I am just curious if I should upgrade to this newer dual core technology or if I will be just fine with the AMD Turion 64 that the laptop came with because I need something fast s we all are probably aware that editing film is a time consuming task...not too mention the time needed if I have to acutally burn the film to a disc rather than being able to send it as an attachment to the people for whom I work

So if Anyone has any ideas or knows if it is possible to even upgrade this laptop or if I should just dump it and go ahead and buy one with the dual core processor already installed please feel free to lend me your advice. I dont mind paying upwards of 500 bucks to have it done since I got the new laptop at a wholesale price anyway...so the price of an upgrade is not too much of a factor...plus I really love the widescreen on the HP dv8305us and the factory installed Altec-Lansing speakers are actually the best I have ever heard for a laptop computer. So, I would hate to give it up for something else.

Thanks for any knowledge you might have to share.

Aloha,
lioslathe
 08/09/2006 04:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
miner

Nope, not possible, since the Turion X2(dual core) uses a different socket S1(638 pins) compared to the single core Turion64 which is Socket 754(754 pins). So, if you want to go dual core, you"ll have to get a new computer. Consider the dv9000 which is the dual core update to the dv8000 series. It is not available yet, but should be out soon...
http://www.shopping.hp.com/web...ping...TOPROMO_DV9000Z

EDIT: Seems like HP just released the dv9000z...
http://www.shopping.hp.com/web...ping...=computer_store

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information