AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Having some problems with my laptop when I shut down...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/17/2006 09:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/17/2006 09:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DrDOA

Hey guys, when I go to "Turn off computer" on the start menu, instead of showing the menu of switch user, turn off, restart in 1 second like it used to (literally) my pointer changes to the busy one and can't do anything, almost like it freezes. But if press CTRL+ALT+DEL, sometimes task manager under the applications tab shows that "SysFader" is not responding. I tried searching for it under search, and get no such file. I've already scanned for viruses (MacAfee) and spyware (SpySweeper) no virus' but 29 spy cookies (quarantined then deleted all of them) but same thing keeps happening. Wierd thing though, left scanning over night, when I woke up I went to shut it off, and no problem. I tried again, problem comes back. Anyone help me out, please? Thanks in advance. Using windows XP home by the way.

When I try to shut down or restart using task manager, it logs me off and all that, then it freezes on shutting off and doesn't shut down completely, so I have to hold down the power button. Just wanted to add that and was also wondering if it is bad for my laptop to turn it off by holding power button.

-------------------------
HP zv6130us

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
ATI 200m 128MB
80GB HDD
1.25GB RAM
250GB External HDD
And that's it!
 08/17/2006 07:33 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

If you've given the laptop significant time, then you're probably not hurting anything by holding the button down.

We need to figure out why you're have this problem though...

Can you list your system information? (I don't want to make an assumption based on your sig.)

My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 08/18/2006 01:51 AM

Author Icon
DrDOA

Umm, what more do you need? Thought I listed everything you needed, so please tell me specifically what you need. Thanks.

Also, I researched this 'sysfader' on the web, A LOT of similar problems, some the exact same, get a lot of forums where ppl say it's an NVidia file, and that it's associated with graphics, well I didn't feel like signing up to all those forums and telling them I have ATI. Tried multiple solutions that ppl say works for them, but not the case for me. I can shut it down now from task manager, but I would like the "turn off computer" in the start menu to work properly. Also, ppl say "search for it and delete/disable it". Well from what I read, it's not really running, it starts up from explorer.exe, that's why no one can find it in their files if they run a search.

Tried to use MS support, but since I didn't buy it from them (it came on my laptop, so technically it's not their problem or some caca like that, it's HP's) they want to charge me for help. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> So I try HP support and try active chat, download all the mierda so they can diagnose my system and see what kind of laptop, and all that jazz. Says I'm about to get connected to a technician, I wait, then the chat box closes w/o ever chatting with someone, and sends me to a screen that says 'Thank you for using Active chat, we hope that the service you received...' /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" /> What service?! Tried over and over and over, same doo-doo (yes it was during their active chat business hours). So I have to keep looking elsewhere for support. Maybe I should just nuke this thing in the microwave, take it in and say it doesn't work, they'll try to repair it, fail, and give me a brand new one (I have that awesome warranty where I can throw it in a pool and take it back, 3 years!, I heard that it works, but who knows if it actually does. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HP zv6130us

ATI 200m 128MB
80GB HDD
1.25GB RAM
250GB External HDD
And that's it!
 08/19/2006 03:31 PM

Author Icon
DrDOA

Well I think I found my problem, I installed a newer version of Spy Sweeper Beta and that's causing the problem, when I shut it down I can use the turn off computer in the start menu with no problem.

HP zv6130us

ATI 200m 128MB
80GB HDD
1.25GB RAM
250GB External HDD
And that's it!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information