AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: NEED HELP.. this may considered repost.. sorry..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/14/2006 08:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/14/2006 08:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
88elite88

Hi guys, I really need help in this, and I might be considered as repost from other thread since I really do not know what to do anymore in order to get answer to my problem that I'm having now in deciding my laptop processor upgrade...

Hello Experts,

I actually own a compaq V2405US laptop with specs of processor : Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3000+ with PowerNow Tech. 1.8GHz 128KB L2 Cache up to 1600MHz system bus.)

here is my full specs of my laptop:
Compaq Presario V2405US Laptop - 1.8GHz / 14" WXGA Screen / 1280MB RAM / 40 GB Hard Drive / DVD & CD-RW combo drive / Windows XP Home (Not Refurbished, Not used). Compaq 1 Year US warranty till October 2006 Features: 14"-diagonal widescreen WXGA (1280 x 768) BriteView LCD screen AMD Sempron processor 3000+ operating at 1.8GHz 128KB L2 cache Up to 1600MHz frontside bus 256MB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM (1 DIMM), upgradeable to 2.0GB 40GB 4200-rpm hard drive 24x DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive 54g™ 802.11b/g wireless LAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster™ support 10/100Base-TX Ethernet port 56K V.90 modem 2 USB 2.0 ports 1 S-video out port ATI Radeon Xpress 200M IGP graphics with from 32MB to 128MB of shared memory (user configurable) Altec Lansing audio, with stereo speakers Dimensions: 1 9/16"H x 13 3/16"W x 9 1/10"D

now my question is whether I am able to upgrade my compaq V2405US laptop with AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Product Details:
Model: Mobile AMD Athlon 64
Core: ClawHammer
Operating Frequency: 2GHz
FSB: Integrated into Chip
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.4V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 754

I am wonder if this upgrade will be compatible with my other parts of my laptop such as compatibility with my mainboard or other things...
I am very new in this type of things, any advice will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

and as far as my research in these 2 processors, I only see differences in Thermal Design Power, in which Sempron has alot less amount of this Thermal Design Power than the regular Athlon 64 does.. but would it that make such a compatibility issues to my laptop or it just my battery will running out faster than before since it takes more watt than its original processor....

If that's just the case it wont bother me that much really since I plugged the laptop to the AC most of the time, but I really wonder if different watts from the processor will make such incompatibility issues in regards of basically kind of like my mainboard don't accept such processor with higher watts or maybe such other reasons..

I am just trying to speak up my so so theory about this different watts that makes me some concern in doing this upgrades.. so experts.. please.. help me out in making this decision.. thank you very much..

=====================================================\
sorry, am I allow to bump up my question? since it has not been answer yet since yesterday.. and I really need this.. could some1 please be kind to share their thought about this, I apologize that I cannot provide any motherboard info for my compaq laptop becuase I myself cannot find any info about it, even the HP compaq representative themselves could not provide me any info with the mainboard of my laptop... this is why I cannot find any info about the maximum processor I can put or my motherboard of my laptop can take up to..

the only thing that made the difference between these two processor is just the watt ammount that each processor take from the motherboard, I wonder if this is the main thing what makes these two processor unswitchable.. thank you
======================================================\

A 754 can take any 754 processor, but make sure its a moble. Yet, its almost impossible to upgrade a LT. Got to know what your doing when you take it appart. The socket doesn't have a leaver. So when you remove the CPU then good luck cus you may never get one back in again. Making it useless. ph34r.gif

PH34R mellow.gif

======================================================

Of course you can put a processor in a laptop. Yes, they don't have a lever, instead, the locking mechanism is a screw, which does the same thing as the lever, but with less space.

-Adam
=======================================================

guys.. first of all.. I really really really really appreciated for the reply... I've been waiting for this... thank you guys... again thank you...

but please allow me for some input I got from other forum about this upgrade..

I was saying that I was about to upgrade to this processor and here's the reply I got

Wow!.. You are gonna try that!!
I wish you could do that.

It is not at all going to work, why?

reasons,

1. Bios would not accept
2. if and if bios accepts, supplies proper voltage and you could fit it properly

It will burn your laptops voltage regulator, The reason is the link you gave is for a DTR Athlon which is based on ClawHammer core, one of power hungry cores requires more than 65 watts, where as Turion max is 35watts.

Had it been a socket 754 venice core(not sure if available) or atleast winchester, then there would have been a chance as these are very power efficient cores and can run with less than 40watts.

Assuming that everything else fine, your Heatsink can not properly cool the 65Watt CPU at all(no way), may be you can run it at idle, and one more step.

Anyways, those are the facts, but if you want to go ahead and burn you wallet, best of luck with it.

If do not want to spend too much, best bet would be 25watt mobile sempron 3300+. Check the anandtechs review of faster semprons, those are really good( as good as ML-30 or ML-32).

============================================================
Ditto what chinna_n said. The DTR-class Athlon 64's are 81W max chips, whereas your notebook is designed for 35W max chips. Your power brick is only rated up to 65W total! (My zv5000z included a much larger 120W brick.) It's also likely that HP didn't bother to include support for the old 130nm cores those chips use.

Save up for a MT40. Anything less isn't worth the trouble.

Listen, you cannot possibly put the 89w monster in this laptop (this is the 130nm version which maxs at 89w). The motherboard is designed for lower power and lower voltage values. I think the MB has enough fuses so it won't literally burn but it will burn out. And what about the cooling solution? ZV6000 needs two fans, one of them working constantly to cool this processor!

I don't think your battery would even start the thing because it cannot supply so much power. Even the adaptor of V2000z cannot supply that much power - it is 65w for the whole notebook and you want some 89w for the CPU only!?
Just forget it

If you really want Athlon64, why don't you return v2000z and get zv6000 at a very decent price.

Every motherboard has CPU core voltage regulator (PWM) which supplies required voltage and current to the CPU. These could be 2 to 4 phase power supplies which convert our battery voltage 10.8v to 0.8 to 1.5v based on processor requirements and also have maximum current limit. In the case of Turion/sempron these require max of 25AMP at that max voltage, where as ClawHammer core may require as much 50 AMPs current, which no way can be handled by CPU Voltage regulators, even if you think it has safety factor built into it( may be max 35AMP?).

More over, it is not just CPU Voltage regulators, the whole MB has to support that kind of high current which is it not designed for and Heatsink can noway cope with this kind of heat.

It is not just one thing, May be I should give you an example,

You overload you car with 5 tons steel instead of 5 people sitting in it and try to drive it, what could fail? is it suspension?, axles?, transmission?, clutch?, wheels? chassis?

Again, I really thank you for reading it... I really appreciated again.. and AMD experts please confirm about this input is correct...

and I am sure that the socket 754 is the same as on both Sempron and Clawhammer Athlon 64, but from these opinions saying that eventhough they got the same socket 754, it will still incompatible...

thank you again

guys.. first of all.. I really really really really appreciated for the reply... I've been waiting for this... thank you guys... again thank you...

but please allow me for some input I got from other forum about this upgrade..

I was saying that I was about to upgrade to this processor and here's the reply I got

Wow!.. You are gonna try that!!
I wish you could do that.

It is not at all going to work, why?

reasons,

1. Bios would not accept
2. if and if bios accepts, supplies proper voltage and you could fit it properly

It will burn your laptops voltage regulator, The reason is the link you gave is for a DTR Athlon which is based on ClawHammer core, one of power hungry cores requires more than 65 watts, where as Turion max is 35watts.

Had it been a socket 754 venice core(not sure if available) or atleast winchester, then there would have been a chance as these are very power efficient cores and can run with less than 40watts.

Assuming that everything else fine, your Heatsink can not properly cool the 65Watt CPU at all(no way), may be you can run it at idle, and one more step.

Anyways, those are the facts, but if you want to go ahead and burn you wallet, best of luck with it.

If do not want to spend too much, best bet would be 25watt mobile sempron 3300+. Check the anandtechs review of faster semprons, those are really good( as good as ML-30 or ML-32).

============================================================
Ditto what chinna_n said. The DTR-class Athlon 64's are 81W max chips, whereas your notebook is designed for 35W max chips. Your power brick is only rated up to 65W total! (My zv5000z included a much larger 120W brick.) It's also likely that HP didn't bother to include support for the old 130nm cores those chips use.

Save up for a MT40. Anything less isn't worth the trouble.

Listen, you cannot possibly put the 89w monster in this laptop (this is the 130nm version which maxs at 89w). The motherboard is designed for lower power and lower voltage values. I think the MB has enough fuses so it won't literally burn but it will burn out. And what about the cooling solution? ZV6000 needs two fans, one of them working constantly to cool this processor!

I don't think your battery would even start the thing because it cannot supply so much power. Even the adaptor of V2000z cannot supply that much power - it is 65w for the whole notebook and you want some 89w for the CPU only!?
Just forget it

If you really want Athlon64, why don't you return v2000z and get zv6000 at a very decent price.

Every motherboard has CPU core voltage regulator (PWM) which supplies required voltage and current to the CPU. These could be 2 to 4 phase power supplies which convert our battery voltage 10.8v to 0.8 to 1.5v based on processor requirements and also have maximum current limit. In the case of Turion/sempron these require max of 25AMP at that max voltage, where as ClawHammer core may require as much 50 AMPs current, which no way can be handled by CPU Voltage regulators, even if you think it has safety factor built into it( may be max 35AMP?).

More over, it is not just CPU Voltage regulators, the whole MB has to support that kind of high current which is it not designed for and Heatsink can noway cope with this kind of heat.

It is not just one thing, May be I should give you an example,

You overload you car with 5 tons steel instead of 5 people sitting in it and try to drive it, what could fail? is it suspension?, axles?, transmission?, clutch?, wheels? chassis?

Again, I really thank you for reading it... I really appreciated again.. and AMD experts please confirm about this input is correct...

and I am sure that the socket 754 is the same as on both Sempron and Clawhammer Athlon 64, but from these opinions saying that eventhough they got the same socket 754, it will still incompatible...

thank you again

=====================================================

Newegg has a couple of mobile 3400 clawhammer cpus (2.2) that may work with your board. Both are $150 in the refurbished section. You'll have 7 days to try them. I would put in an rma immediately upon receipt if you get one, in case you have any problems. Rma's will expire in 30 days if you don't use them. Be sure the cool and quiet feature is working on your board, as heat may be an issue. Your current heatsink may not provide enough cooling. You'll just have to try it.

hello, thank you very much for reply, I'm indeed planning to buy it from Newegg if somebody or experts can tell me that there is a chance my upgrade would be possible, if that is the case, I will buy from newegg now, but since sofar I have had people telling me it IS NOT going to work, this is why I still dont want to buy first..

here's the 2 processors in which one is what I have currently sempron 3000+ and clawhammer 3200+ AMD athlon 64, in comparison table..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ompa...N82E16819103443' ">http://www.newegg.com/Product/...ompa...N82E16819103443

now, could some1 please tell me if I will still have a chance thats this will work in my lappy, and I have also something to ask, if I change my current processor with the new one, is it going to erase all my data in my HD? meaning that I have to reformat my HD again?

and last question but most important.. what is the chance of my motherboard or other parts of my laptop going to get BURN if I make this changes in processor.. please tell me the possibility of me getting a burn electronics.. 80%? 90%? sad.gif

===================================================

THANK you for reading this long thread guys.. I'm sorry to have to have cut and paste like this.. /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> but I really need your help guys...
 01/14/2006 10:51 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

Well, after reading what must be the longest post in 2006 so far...

The ONLY use for those Mobile Athlon 64's @ 0.13u is as an exact replacement for a faulty CPU that was already in your laptop, or to put into a DFI Motherboard, as an example, and use it as a desktop CPU that runs cooler than a regular 0.13u Desktop Athlon 64.

I am going to go ahead and give you CLEAR WARNING...

DO NOT TRY TO PUT THAT CPU IN YOUR v2000 LAPTOP!!!!!

The cooling system is NOT designed to handle the 62W to 89W TDP that those CPU's have! I'm sure the power stages aren't either...

Stick with a Turion ML-xx at 35W TDP or even better, a Turion MT-xx at 25W TDP.

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 05/16/2006 08:37 PM

Author Icon
Reuel.Attwood

quote:

Originally posted by: kirbalo
Well, after reading what must be the longest post in 2006 so far...

The ONLY use for those Mobile Athlon 64's @ 0.13u is as an exact replacement for a faulty CPU that was already in your laptop, or to put into a DFI Motherboard, as an example, and use it as a desktop CPU that runs cooler than a regular 0.13u Desktop Athlon 64.

I am going to go ahead and give you CLEAR WARNING...

DO NOT TRY TO PUT THAT CPU IN YOUR v2000 LAPTOP!!!!!

The cooling system is NOT designed to handle the 62W to 89W TDP that those CPU's have! I'm sure the power stages aren't either...

Stick with a Turion ML-xx at 35W TDP or even better, a Turion MT-xx at 25W TDP.

I have a V2555. If I go with the Turion that runs at 2.2GHz, how do I get the laptop to run at 2.2GHz instead of the stock 1.8GHz?
 05/16/2006 10:18 PM

Author Icon
miner

quote:

Originally posted by: Reuel Attwood
I have a V2555. If I go with the Turion that runs at 2.2GHz, how do I get the laptop to run at 2.2GHz instead of the stock 1.8GHz?

Err...I dont know if I understood your question correctly, but if you buy a Turion 2.2GHz and if it is supported by the motherboard & BIOS on your laptop then it will run at 2.2GHz.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 05/16/2006 11:03 PM

Author Icon
Reuel.Attwood

quote:

Originally posted by: miner
Err...I dont know if I understood your question correctly, but if you buy a Turion 2.2GHz and if it is supported by the motherboard & BIOS on your laptop then it will run at 2.2GHz.

Perhaps I should change my question to "How do I know if my motherboard and BIOS will run at 2.2GHz?"
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information