AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Your suggestion on XP2200 could help me decide....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/05/2004 09:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2004 09:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Esakki Sundar

Hi AMD Lovers,
Im planning to buy a Compaq P-2112EA model with Amd Athlon XP-M 2200 1.8GHz laptop with 256MB Ram. The shopkeepers when i enquired are not much aware of AMD processor. They dont give a better picture for the actual AMD performance.
I just wanted to know the performance of 2200 processor. I was reading many websites where they tell that AMD processor gets heated very quickly and so high that it reaches upto 60Centigrade. and system gets Hanged frequently. Also the performance at some time gives only 800MHz even though its mentioned as 1.8Ghz. Guys help me out if these are rumours or real facts. My main purpose of the laptops will be with Programming and watching movies.
FYI AMD based compaq cost USD1200 where as Intel P4 2.66GHZ cost USD 1350. Its just a matter of 150$ difference between these two systems and all i wanted is the best one for the bucks im spending.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,
Esakki Sundar.
 01/05/2004 03:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
avalanchez71

As I type this on my HP Pavilion ze4200 powered by a XP-M 2200+, I'm trying to think of the last time a system hang could have been a processor issue, and I can't think of one. I've been extremely happy with this notebook, I've had it almost a year now.

The fan does run, at very low speed, nearly all the time, and runs constantly when I'm doing light gaming...but I've never had a hang or trouble of any kind, that I've related to the fact that it's an AMD.

You are correct that the 2200+ may only give you 800mhz at times, this is AMD's PowerNow Technology at work. PowerNow adjusts the speed of the processor to meet the demand of the moment. If you're browsing the 'net, you don't need a 1.8Ghz processor...you don't even need 800mhz, so the processor is slowed to reduce battery drain and heat. The moment you put a load on the system (say opening a program), the processor shifts into overdrive and puts out the maximum 1.8Ghz until the operation is complete, and then it's automaically clocked back down. Intel had a technology similar to this for the P3/P4's called SpeedStep, the difference was that with SpeedStep, the processor was either in fast or slow mode, depending on if it was on battery power or not...it didn't change speed like PowerNow does.

The new Intel Pentium M's automatically adjust their speed just like PowerNow does, if memory serves, a 1.3Ghz P-M runs at 333mhz at idle.

My recommendation stands by the AMD 2200+ M if you don't need 4-5 hrs of battery life, if you do, go with a Centrino notebook with a Pentium M.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information