Increase font size
Topic Title: I am getting blue screens with AMD chipset mixed
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/28/2006 03:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/28/2006 03:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lotus9

hey,

I just got a new laptop - HP zv6270US. Soon after I started playing with it, I got a blue screen. It disappeared before I could read it, but the laptop restarted, and I kept using it. Well, I've only installed the verizon evdo card, and photoshop on the puter, so I was like come on, no way drivers are causing that blue screen.

But, anyway, it's happened about 5 times in 2 days now, and I finally saw a piece of it, and it did say something about a USB driver.

Here is the actual error:

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVERS

I searched around, and think I might have found the culprit. I read that the AMD chipset has issues with emulating a USB on the PCMCIA or something like that. And these Ev-Do cards emulate a USB hub to connect with the laptop. This one guy said he updated his BIOS and it fixed the problem for him, but I have the current BIOS for this model.

Anyone have any fixes?

Thanks.
 03/30/2006 02:38 PM

Author Icon
smaring

I too have a Verizon V620 and am getting these errors on an HP Pavilion dv8000z. The exact error and minidump are available below. Novatel Wireless, the makers of the Merlin CDMA EV-DO Modem (aka V620), suggested to me that they did not support AMD 64 bit with their driver. I found this strange since I am running a 32 bit WinXP. Based on a an AMD 64 & BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Google search I'd be inclined to think that this is more of an AMD chipset issue.

For the life of me though, I cannot seem to figure out what chipset in this box is handling the PCMCIA to USB activities. Maybe an updated driver exists and I don't even know about it.

As someone else pointed out, the error is much more likely to be encountered with higher levels of network usage. For instance, if I stream audio or do a video conference, I can put money on a BSOD within 10 - 15 mins.

I also posted with issue over at The EVDO Forums

BCCode : fe BCP1 : 00000005 BCP2 : 837840E0 BCP3 : 10330035
BCP4 : 89A50F40 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for usbohci.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for usbohci.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for usbhub.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for usbhub.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for usbccgp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for usbccgp.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nwusbmdm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nwusbmdm.sys
Probably caused by : usbohci.sys ( usbohci+18f3 )
 03/30/2006 07:03 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

AMD does NOT make the chipset, and while this issue seems to be happening on AMD laptops, I suggest you find the common chipset amongst all of these (I've read of these problems on the forums previously).

It has nothing to do with the AMD processor.

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 06/03/2006 11:07 PM

Author Icon
RVRoadie

I have lived with this problem on my HP Athelon laptop for the past 8 months. I recently replaced it with a new HP Turion laptop, and was shocked to get the same thing. I even got Verizon to replace the v620 card on the assertion that it was defective (which it wasn't).

This may not be an AMD problem, but nobody seems to be working on a fix. Not Verizon, not HP, not AMD and not Novatel.

My fix is to return the new laptop. FedEx picks it up Monday and back it goes to HP.

I love the AMD pricing and performance, but that means nothing when the laptop is not reliable. I will give HP another try, but with an Intel processor.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information