Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon XP 1500+ running at 533Mhz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/06/2004 02:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/06/2004 02:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SoCalCaddy

I have a Compaq Presario that is a couple years old and has an AMD Athlon XP 1500+. As far as I know this processor should be running at about 1.3 GHz but when I check the system properties it is being seen as running at 533 MHz. Can anyone provide some insight as to what my problem may be or how to correct this issue?

Thank you.
 05/07/2004 01:06 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

The reason for this is because you have enabled PowerNOW!.

PowerNOW! is a power-saving feature that is implemented into all mobile AMD-CPUs.
It will dynamically adjust both clockspeed(via multiplier change) and Vcore depending on CPU-usage...i.e. if your not doing anything, the CPU will run with reduced clockspeed and voltage, thus saving power - if the CPU is being used(e.g. when playing a game) it will automatically switch back to full speed and voltage.
More info here' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...1276_807%5E964,00.html

If you're using WinXP, PowerNOW! is controlled via Power-schemes, i.e. if you select 'Always on', your CPU will run at full speed all the time whereas if you select 'Laptop/Portable', PowerNOW! will be dynamically adjusting both clockspeed and voltage depending on CPU-utilization.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 05/07/2004 11:14 AM

Author Icon
SoCalCaddy

Greyhound... Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Your explanation of the issue was very clear and your diagnosis was correct. I was able to use your suggestion to resolve the issue I was experiencing and I greatly appreciate your time.

Regards
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information