Increase font size
Topic Title: Funky behavior on 6805 after XP Pro install
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2004 12:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2004 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wavshrdr

Like many of you I immediately installed XP Pro on my 6805. I downloaded all the latest drivers including the Omega Cat. ATI drivers. The performance was vastly improved on my benchmarks on the order of about 10% even before I did the ATI drivers. Unfortunately on my replacement 6805 I got the sucky HD.

Anyway I noticed strange behavior when I unplugged my laptop to run it on the battery. Whenever it was running on battery it was WAYYYYY slow. Even when I used Clockgen to bump up the clock speed it was still incredibly slow.

The mouse would move like it was in slo-mo whenever I needed to do anything. I would click on a window and it would move so slowly to open up that I couldn't stand it. As soon as I plugged in the AC, bam! Back to warp speed.

I tried all manner of power mgmt. settings and nothing seemed to work. I thought maybe it was the touch pad. Now CPU spikes and runaways as others have reported. I tried the latest drivers. I even uninstalled the touchpad from my system.

I even went so far as to try and OC it while running on the battery. Nothing! I finally decided to reinstall the OS. Not a task I was looking forward to but at this point my options were to do that or return the lappy. Since mine had NO bad pixels and had already proved it could be OC'd to 2150 Mhz, didn't want to return mine even though I have a slow HD now but that is easily changed as I have a 7200rpm drive on order.

So before proceeding any further I burned an image of my current config. I copied them off to DVDs and I was set. Then I thought I'd try going back to an image I had made early on when the OS install was pretty fresh and I hadn't installed anything more than office. I loaded up my image of my DVDs and away I went. Still nothing.

I finally decided to reinstall XP Pro. Still nothing. By then I was ready to toss the lappy in the trash. I hated to do it but I went back to the eMachine image and reinstalled it. Still had my same issue. I was beginning to think I was going insane.

I felt sure it had to be something with the touchpad. All my instincts said that is the issue. Somewhere, somehow the touchpad was screwing it up. I searched for every driver I could find for the POS. I plugged in an external mouse while on battery and it said it needed to reboot to finish the install. It rebooted and magically all worked as it should UNTIL my next reboot. Back to the same old BS!

I thought I'd go back to my last image that seemed to work REALLY well on AC and start working on the touchpad. I started digging through each setting in the TP (touchpad) and seeing if I could isolate the problem. Let me tell you this was tedious work. I finally hit the setting that seems to be causing my problem. For some unknown reason when the check box entitled "enable shadow under mouse" is checked, it screws up my system. 5 reboots later and it is still working fine.

It has always amazed me how something so little can bring your whole PC to its knees. Just something you might want to check if you are having a similar issue. It was about to drive me crazy. My 6805 is MUCH faster now on the battery AND on AC. It just had a much bigger effect on the perf when on batt. I NEVER enabled that setting.

Good luck!
 03/05/2004 04:54 PM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

No problem here. Even runs at full speed when not on AC power. Got rid of all the powersaving options and never installed the amd drivers and still get 2+ hours of use. As far as mouse settings tryed what you said works fine both ways.
 03/05/2004 05:47 PM

Author Icon
wavshrdr

QUOTE (Stix @ Mar 5 2004, 01:54 PM)No problem here.  Even runs at full speed when not on AC power.  Got rid of all the powersaving options and never installed the amd drivers and still get 2+ hours of use.  As far as mouse settings tryed what you said works fine both ways.

Glad you had no problems. I new it was pretty messed up when no matter what I did with the Clockgen I couldn't improve my performance. I thought it was really odd when I plugged it in and even though the clockspeed of the processor never changed the mouse behavior did!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information