AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: M6805 RAM upgrade - What brand of chips work?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/22/2004 11:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2004 11:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
EricE3

I purchased my M6805 2 weeks ago, and it's been terrific. Over the past weekend, I decided to upgrade to 1 gig of RAM. I saw the photos on another forum, and before buying new chips, I removed and reinstalled the "buried" chip twice, just to make sure I could do it. (It's actually not hard, you need to have a steady hand, and a thick, bent paperclip bent into a small hook to pull the chip back into it's socket - minimal disassembly required, no need to remove the screen or all the screws on the bottom.)
Anyways, I bought two 512mb SODIMM PC2700 chips under the "PNY Optima" brand. Tested both chips by installing each individually in the bottom slot (not the buried slot) and ran the machine at 768mb for an hour for each chip, using SiSandra's burn-in utility. Both chips worked fine individually, but when I installed both together, the computer would boot and then promptly became unstable (blue screen of death, explorer crashes, etc...).
I reinstalled the original chips, and everything is back to normal.
I feel that I took reasonable care to ensure that the chips work properly, and that it is PNY's chip architecture that is bad.

So, here's the questions:

1. Has anyone installed 1 gig of RAM and gotten a stable system? If so, which chips did you use?
2. Am I likely to run into this problem with another brand, and if so, am I just better off waiting for updated chipset drivers/BIOS/etc...?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
 02/22/2004 11:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
tallan

QUOTE (EricE3 @ Feb 22 2004, 08:16 PM) I purchased my M6805 2 weeks ago, and it's been terrific. Over the past weekend, I decided to upgrade to 1 gig of RAM. I saw the photos on another forum, and before buying new chips, I removed and reinstalled the "buried" chip twice, just to make sure I could do it. (It's actually not hard, you need to have a steady hand, and a thick, bent paperclip bent into a small hook to pull the chip back into it's socket - minimal disassembly required, no need to remove the screen or all the screws on the bottom.)
Anyways, I bought two 512mb SODIMM PC2700 chips under the "PNY Optima" brand. Tested both chips by installing each individually in the bottom slot (not the buried slot) and ran the machine at 768mb for an hour for each chip, using SiSandra's burn-in utility. Both chips worked fine individually, but when I installed both together, the computer would boot and then promptly became unstable (blue screen of death, explorer crashes, etc...).
I reinstalled the original chips, and everything is back to normal.
I feel that I took reasonable care to ensure that the chips work properly, and that it is PNY's chip architecture that is bad.

So, here's the questions:

1. Has anyone installed 1 gig of RAM and gotten a stable system? If so, which chips did you use?
2. Am I likely to run into this problem with another brand, and if so, am I just better off waiting for updated chipset drivers/BIOS/etc...?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
It's odd, to put it mildly, that both sticks ran fine on their own yet failed together. eMachines' official position is that they only support 1.25G of memory, but I doubt that is the issue here. Perhaps the latency timings of your PNY sticks are off just enough to be an problem cumulatively but not separately? I'm not tech savvy enough to know...

However I know that PNY is considered a "value" player as opposed to Kingston and Crucial, who are considered the top tier - and the price differential is not great. If you can return the PNY I'd try two sticks of Crucial and see - their memory has never failed to work in any machine I've ever tried it in.

Best of luck and please post the end result!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information