Increase font size
Topic Title: {Athlon 64 3400+} Not running at correct speeds
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/30/2004 02:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/30/2004 02:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gambate

I'm having major trouble trying to get my new Athlon 64 notebook to work correctly. I have a Mitac Athlon 64 3400+ notebook running Windows XP Home. According to the System Properties inspector and 3DMark03 system information window, my notebook is only running at either 233mhz or 800mhz (speed fluctuates). What's up with this?! I didn't pay over $2000 for a notebook that runs at only a third of the advertised speed. I've been running my notebook on wall power the entire time, so its not the battery.

I tried setting up ClockGen to "overclock" my notebook to regular speeds, but the System Properties box still reads 800mhz. I tried adjusting my power settings and installed SpeedSwitch, but they make no difference whatsoever. I tried not installing the AMD Athlon 64 drivers and going with Windows XP Home's default drivers, but that didn't help either. It seems that nothing is working, and I'm getting extremely tired and frustrated, especially after re-installing Windows and all of my software over 5 times (no joke). My notebooks specs are listed below. My 3DMark03 score came out to 2600 flat.

Mitac X-64 notebook from CyberPower PC (http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/)

Mobile Athlon 64 3400+
1Gig DDR 333 memory
7200RPM 60Gig HD
128MB Radeon 9600 Pro
Internal Wireless 802.11G MiniPCI
Windows XP Home w/SP1

If anyone has any information on this problem whatsoever, please let me know! At least respond to this thread to let me know my cry has been heard...
 03/30/2004 03:42 AM

Author Icon
WereSHARK

Odd. Your case should have been solved with Clockgen. Did you use the version 05 of Clockgen? And have it auto-start/ ghost mode start-up enabled? Update the chipset 4-in-1 Hyperion drivers from VIA at http://www.viaarena.com' ">http://www.viaarena.com? Make sure your power settings are at Always On. Uninstall and reinstall the CPU drivers. There isn't much more you can do, but honestly Clockgen should manually override the power setting, as long as you have it set and applied at "Always On".

Oh and there is no such thing as a Mobile Athlon 64 3400+. Mobiles right now go only to 3200+ the 3400+ in your system is a misnomer, it should read AMD Athlon 64 3400+ DTR. It's a DeskTop Replacement CPU but not a TRUE Mobile, sorry just nitpicking.

All I can say is try double checking your use of Clockgen and make sure you get that latest 05 version, which should be version 1.05 - March 2004. Get the lastest at http://www.cpuid.com' ">http://www.cpuid.com

Best of Luck to you.

-------------------------

-WereSHARK-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
eMachines m6809 chassis
* upgraded CPU w/ Athlon 64 3400+ DTR running at 2357.87MHz
* upgraded to 1GB DDR RAM - Crucial 512MB 333 x2 SoDIMMs
* upgraded to 60GB HDD, 7200rpm (Hitachi HTS726060M9AT00)
* flashed stock Liteon SlimtypeDVDRW SDW-431S (DVD Region-Free)
----------------------------------
 03/30/2004 08:16 AM

Author Icon
Aquineas

QUOTE (gambate @ Mar 29 2004, 10:45 PM) I'm having major trouble trying to get my new Athlon 64 notebook to work correctly. I have a Mitac Athlon 64 3400+ notebook running Windows XP Home. According to the System Properties inspector and 3DMark03 system information window, my notebook is only running at either 233mhz or 800mhz (speed fluctuates). What's up with this?! I didn't pay over $2000 for a notebook that runs at only a third of the advertised speed. I've been running my notebook on wall power the entire time, so its not the battery.

I tried setting up ClockGen to "overclock" my notebook to regular speeds, but the System Properties box still reads 800mhz. I tried adjusting my power settings and installed SpeedSwitch, but they make no difference whatsoever. I tried not installing the AMD Athlon 64 drivers and going with Windows XP Home's default drivers, but that didn't help either. It seems that nothing is working, and I'm getting extremely tired and frustrated, especially after re-installing Windows and all of my software over 5 times (no joke). My notebooks specs are listed below. My 3DMark03 score came out to 2600 flat.

Mitac X-64 notebook from CyberPower PC (http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/)

Mobile Athlon 64 3400+
1Gig DDR 333 memory
7200RPM 60Gig HD
128MB Radeon 9600 Pro
Internal Wireless 802.11G MiniPCI
Windows XP Home w/SP1

If anyone has any information on this problem whatsoever, please let me know! At least respond to this thread to let me know my cry has been heard...
Try running CPU-Z. What is it reporting your cpu speed as?
 03/30/2004 01:35 PM

Author Icon
AlexRuiz

As the other guys suggested, run CPU-Z and see what is being reported.
 03/31/2004 07:03 AM

Author Icon
gambate

Thanks for suggesting CPU-Z. I ran the app after using ClockGen and the reading read 2200MHz. Strangely, the System Properties inspector still will not display the actual speed that my notebook is currently running at.

I overclocked the video card a little bit to 400/210 and was able to increase my 3DMark03 score to 2775. I would clock the card more, but I'm afraid the heat may damage the system's components. I tried the same settings that someone else posted on these boards (very aggressive) and my screen got fragged. I was able to get everything back to normal (albeit, after much panicking), but now I'm afraid of OC'ing too much.

So, my chip isn't a mobile, huh? That's very dissapointing to hear because the company I bought the notebook from advertised the processor as a Mobile chip. I even called up sales support and asked if it was actually a DTR chip and they said it was a Mobile. *Sigh* The company didn't send the car adapter I payed for either, and I'm going to pick some bones with them tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.
 03/31/2004 09:46 AM

Author Icon
AlexRuiz

QUOTE (gambate @ Mar 31 2004, 03:03 AM) Thanks for suggesting CPU-Z. I ran the app after using ClockGen and the reading read 2200MHz. Strangely, the System Properties inspector still will not display the actual speed that my notebook is currently running at.

I overclocked the video card a little bit to 400/210 and was able to increase my 3DMark03 score to 2775. I would clock the card more, but I'm afraid the heat may damage the system's components. I tried the same settings that someone else posted on these boards (very aggressive) and my screen got fragged. I was able to get everything back to normal (albeit, after much panicking), but now I'm afraid of OC'ing too much.

So, my chip isn't a mobile, huh? That's very dissapointing to hear because the company I bought the notebook from advertised the processor as a Mobile chip. I even called up sales support and asked if it was actually a DTR chip and they said it was a Mobile. *Sigh* The company didn't send the car adapter I payed for either, and I'm going to pick some bones with them tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.
I don't think the company that sold you the laptop tried to lie. they just are not aware of the difference between the "mobile" and the "DTR" parts.

The DTR has the same max thermal dissipation than the desktop part, but it is intended for notebooks... the mobile part is newer, so the process is more refined and the power consumption lower. The sold you the CPU as "processor for laptop" and they didn't lie about it.....

Alex
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information