AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ext. HD has laptop Int. fan on constantly?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/09/2004 11:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/09/2004 11:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
skillet

I have an eMa-cheens m6805 and recently put a Maxtor 250G harddrive I had into an external enclosure to use as a backup drive for my laptop. I've had no issues with getting all that to work, but I have noticed that when I have the external drive connected via USB, my internal cooling fan on the m6805 is always on. Always (as in it never goes off... sort've like 'always' on... I mean ALWAYS, okay?).

Anyone have a clue? I've tried checking settings in Windows but I can't seem to locate anything related to this. I've checked the drive's properties, USB settings, etc. It is as if the system is seeing that the external drive is running warm (which it is) and trying to cool it off by running the internal fan. That's, um, silly. But that is what seems to be happening since I can turn on the drive and then connect it so that it is 'cold' but after a few minutes it will start to heat up and that is when the fan kicks in and does not stop until I disconnect the external drive.

Is there a setting perhaps that I can modify to make it stop doing this? I'd rather not burn out my internal fan attempting to cool a harddrive located 3-feet away... under the desk.... A working internal fan is something I consider useful on my laptop. Important even.

Thanks.
 11/09/2004 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
olyteddy

You can see if the external HD is hot with HD Tune. If it is, you may be able to disable SMART reporting from that drive.

-------------------------
First PC = Vic-20, 8" 128KB Home-Brew Floppy Drive ... Current Rig = eMachines m6805 ... Quantum Leap?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information