Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 3400+ Running at 800 Mhz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/05/2004 07:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/05/2004 07:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JustAnotherUser

I recently brought a laptop from a UK manufacturer. The processor inside is an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (agreed on by Windows XP Home Edition) however, all checks that I run on it (not the unreliable properties of 'My Computer' including System Information (MS) and CPU Speed (third-party) and the Linux Kernel report that it's running at 800 Mhz instead of 2.2 Ghz.

Is this a problem with the laptop itself, a configuration problem, or a reporting error from /all/ involved systems?

Thanks in advance,

D.

-- Edit --

By the way, the Windows Ive just discovered I can force to be faster by turning the power management off with a downloaded tool. However does anyone know of a method of turning off the power management for Linux?
 06/05/2004 10:43 PM

Author Icon
GripS

check your bios. There may be a way to disable it there. I'm sure you know by now but in case you don't you have 'Powernow!' enabled. It slows cpu down when not stressed and saves battery power. If your mostly connected to a power outlet then you want it disabled. When cruisin and working you'll want it on to maximize battery life.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 170 \ DFI UT nf4 Ultra-D \ evga 7600gt \ 2gb (2x1gb) G.Skill pc4000 HZ \ NEC 3550a DVDRW \ WD Raptor 150gb \ Seagate barracuda 80gb \ Mitsumi floppy \ OCZ powerstream 520watt
 06/06/2004 05:15 AM

Author Icon
ALIEN3001

This feature is called Cool 'n' Quiet, it slows down the speed and the voltage of your CPU, when it's not stressed.
Run Folding@Home in the background (enable power managemend first), then check with CPU-Z or WCPUID or something, and your CPU will be running at full speed.

-------------------------
{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=boardrules
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information