Increase font size
Topic Title: [n] AMD 64 bit laptops India
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/13/2004 09:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/13/2004 09:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nirav

Hi AMD,
I would like to know if Mobile AMD Athalone 64 based laptops are available in India. I checked with compaq and they answerd that it's not avilable.
If it will be available in near future, how long will it take. I need to buy laptop within next 3 months.
I am consedering Intel Centrino based Toshiba and Compaq Presario series. But I found that Mobile AMD 64 bit is as good as Centrino and can be used in future 64 bit computing.
I am a MS Software student and requires high computing laptop.

So, will it be available soon in India? and in which brand?

Thanks

- Nirav

-------------------------
AMD 64 3000+
 08/13/2004 12:17 PM

Author Icon
ranjithamd

Hi,
I dont work for AMD but Here is what I know or feel..
the AMD 64 manufacturers right now are:
eMachines (cheaper and selling hot).
Compaq and
Acer
and certain gamer-market-targeted brands like Woodoo, compUSA etc.

I dont think any of these brands above markets laptops in India apart from Compaq.

So, you will have to wait till hp/compaq starts selling it..(may be not till 1st quarter of 2005?) or ask someone abroad to buy and carry one for you.

So, if urgent, go with P4 or centrino based Compaq, Dell or IBM TP.

HTH.
 08/14/2004 12:10 AM

Author Icon
nirav

Hi Ranjith,
Thanks for reply.
What do you think about Toshiba centrino laptops. Does it better than IBM/Compaq/Dell?
If I can get,
Centrino 1.5 GHz, 256M, 30G, DVD-ROM, carrybag, 2 yr warranty in 60000 INR and the same config + CD-RW/DVD Combo from compaq what should I go for?

- Nirav

AMD 64 3000+
 08/16/2004 04:44 PM

Author Icon
ranjithamd

Hi,
compaq/ibm/dell are the best options available in India - as all of these have service/support centers in various locations. All are equally good - only dell being slightly heavy - For the sleekest design, i would prefer IBM TPs - but they are costly.
Hence, I wud say go for compaq and check if you can get some more RAM may be 512MB?

all the best
 08/17/2004 12:17 AM

Author Icon
nirav

Hi Ranjith,
Infact I am a MS (Software) student and my institute has contract with Toshiba. Toshiba is giving Centrino laptops:
The config is:

Centrino Molbile P-4 1.5 GHz
256 MB PC 2100 DDR RAM
30 GB HDD (I don't know the rpm)
DVD ROM
14.1" XGA TFT
Inbuilt Speaker
Li-io 6/8 Cell battery (4 hr life)
USB 2.0 X 2, RJ-11, RJ-45, DC Power cord, Keyboard/mouse port (usb), VGA/Projector port, AC Adapter, RJ-11
Carry bag
Windows XP Pro + Toshiba Config Free software + Miscrosoft Office One Note 2003
2 yr online support + 2 yr insurance

The final price for this config is: 59,000 INR

The same configuration laptop + Combodrive (instead of DVD-ROM) from compaq comes around 63,000 INR from outsite compaq dealer.

Mobile Athlone 64 is still not available here but if it will be available within next 3-4 months would it be worth to wait for that?

I think If I am investing around 60,000 INR, I should think about long term. So, I think I should wait for Mobile A64 to come here, isn't it?
Also I have some basic config in my mind:

40 GB HDD
512 MB RAM
CD-DVD Combo
VGA/Projector Port
Wireless ready

In US for about 1100 US$(= 51000 INR) one can have AMD 64bit laptop. Do you know why it reaches to >= 70000 INR for end user in India?) taxes?

After all is it worth to buy AMD based laptop (esp. worth investing this much for 64 bit?)?

Thanks,
- Nirav

AMD 64 3000+
 08/17/2004 03:27 AM

Author Icon
dropadrop

Fujitsu-Siemens just launched an A64 based notebook here in finland. It has the 3400+ processor, a mobility 9700 videocard and a wxga display. The price is fairly cheap compared to the specs, but aparently batterylife is not extremly good.
 08/18/2004 11:54 PM

Author Icon
ranjithamd

nirav,
the toshiba config is pretty outdated. Anyways, I dont know the kind of softwares you want to run on your lappy.. even if you dont want to run Application servers or some heavy IDEs the unit should have a minimum 512 MB DDR memory. That helps.
and here in US, the most selling laptops are of the category DTRs - desk top replacements..slightly heavy but have wide screens 15.4".
So, what I would say is, if your purpose is purely academical, you dont need a very high end unit. Something with
cpu > 2ghz, 512MB DDR memory, 40+GB hdd(laptop default is 4200), DVD-R/CDRW,wireless and some 15" display would be it.

Coming to price in US, the emachines deal is $1499 for the above configuration+ATI Mobility 9600 GPU with dedicated 64MB memory and AMD 64 on it.
After a total mail-in rebate of 250 bucks, it is equivalent to 55k in INR.
For example, the compaq AMD 64 based laptop can be configured almost at $1300 ( with an inferior GPU). And these two are the only low-priced AMD 64 based sellers.. rest of the brands are for gamers..and they are priced above 1500.

defenitely 64 bit is the technology for tomorrow, but most of the softwares (OS, drivers etc) are not 64 bit ready yet. One weird thought that is striking me right now is, by the time pretty stable 64 bit software becomes available, all todays 64 bit processor based laptops may become outdated...

I would have done is, weigh my needs right now and make a wise decision - In india, the options are limited.

HTH
btw, I had bought one emachines 6809, liked it, but returned as it had cracked hinge covers. still using my IBM TP, with 256MB RAM, intel @ 866mhz and 30 GB HDD, added smc wireless card, works good for all practical purposes and for my passtime-programming.strictly no gaming ... waiting for emachines to fix their defective lot.
 08/21/2004 05:20 AM

Author Icon
nirav

Hi ranjith,
Thanks for the guidance.

Though officially compaq presario AMD based laptops are not available, some people are getting it from US and selling to customers.

Compaq, are u there, listening....

I think people have started buying AMD based Desktops(Assembled as well as branded), why AMD is not forcing compaq to start selling notebooks here.

Many of my friends here are interested in buying AMD based laptops as we require performance than battery life.

I am waiting for abt 2 month for AMD. By the time if it reaches I will take or I have to go for Intel based config....

Thanks for the reply.....

- Nirav

AMD 64 3000+
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information