AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mobile Athlon running too hot!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/06/2004 06:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2004 06:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
needhelp

Hello, i have an acer aspire 1356 Notebook. Specs:

Athlon XP-M 2800+
512MB DDR 333
etc, etc...

My laptop can upgrade his graphics card (from onboard), so I bought the correct video card model for my notebook (mobility radeon 9200). I opened the machine and installed the new card, everything ok.
I've intalled the vid. card driver and everything ok for the moment.

Now, when i start a game, or when CPU has a load (like Internet Explorer), the temperature jumps too far too fast: from 50 (normal temp) to 65/70, or in the worst cases, to 80 ºC, in about... less than 2 seconds!

I've tried to manage this problem by applying new thermal paste to CPU and heatsink; a very tiny layer on both (nanotherm PCM+), reassembled the notebook, and booted. The new paste didn't fix the problem, it stills at the same temps, so don't know what is happening here.

Now i am really annoyed, i can't play games and CPU goes too hot on heavy loads (like internet explorer?).

The "heat jumps" are relationed with the frequency changes; when CPU goes to it's maximum freq. heat jumps very very fast (in about 2 secs at 60/70 degrees, as i said above).

So now i don't know what to to, and i came to this forum to see any ideas....

PS: i know i could have called acer and they'll make the upgrade, but they said it was not possible to upgrade when it is, and, i prefer to do this thing i get 40min to do it, than acer taking 2 weeks for it...

PLZ help!!
 07/07/2004 06:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WoolyMammoth

Let me get this straight...

You have a DTR (desktop replacement) CPU which dissipates 72W and have replaced the crappy onboard graphics (against the advice of the manufacturer) with a 64MB Mobility Radeon 9200 which must produce a lot more heat and you now need help to cool your laptop down as it is overheating because it was never designed for that much heat...

It could be one of two things:

1)The other people who managed this upgrade all had slower processors so heat was less of an issue.

2)You managed to damage the heatpipe cooling the CPU when you were messing with the guts of your laptop.

Either way I think you are in trouble unless you permanently downgrade the Radeon 9200 from 214/200 core/mem to some lower numbers.

Does this happen on battery as well? (the Radeon9200 should slow to 100/100 on battery so this will produce less heat)

Wooly
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information