AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: *shrug* Athlon XP-M 2600+ or not?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/07/2004 02:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/07/2004 02:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Caedriel

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with a laptop of mine, which was advertised to have an Athlon XP-M 2600+.

By reading the specification of this CPU I noted that it should run at 2000MHz (the BIOS shows the CPU/speed as Athlon 2600+ @ 2000MHz), however Windows XP SP1 and several system analysis tools display its max speed as 1.67 GHz, although even AMD's own analysis tool identifies it as the 2600+ version (again, everytime I checked, 1.67GHz max.).

Now I know that the XP-M's change their speed according to usage, but the range I noticed is 516 MHz - 1.67 GHz.

Am I just overlooking something or is something screwed up with my laptop?

I tried having a word with the manufacturer, to no avail. I was directed at AMD's power-now! information page.

Thank you,

Caedriel

Edit: I had a friend, who actually has a "real" Athlon XP-M 2000+ ( 1.67Ghz) notebook benchmark his system, and our CPU performance values match....

Another stange thing is that CPUZ reports MMX(+), 3dnow (+) and SSE as instruction sets for my friends 2000+ CPU (Thouroughbred-core), however my 2600+ CPU is being reported to have only MMX (+) and 3dnow (+). The 2600+ CPU has a Barton-core.
 07/09/2004 12:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Neutrinosz

Caedriel,

I think what you want to do is check out a program called CPUMSR. The guys can tell you where to get it or just plug it into GOOGLE or YAHOO and you should find the free download site.

Greyhound and Alex Ruiz in this forum are quite familiar with its inner workings. They are some of "the guys"!

The program allows you to over clock or under clock your CPU. I think what is going on with your Athlon XP-M 2600+ is just an under clocking of the CPU perhaps at the factory and what you have to do is adjust it up to specs with this tool CPUMSR.

Address Greyhound and Alex on this as they have been there already and I am just getting into this program.

Hope this helps!!!

Neutrinosz
7-9-2k4
10:57 AM CDT

RE:

QUOTE Hello,

I'm having some trouble with a laptop of mine, which was advertised to have an Athlon XP-M 2600+.

By reading the specification of this CPU I noted that it should run at 2000MHz (the BIOS shows the CPU/speed as Athlon 2600+ @ 2000MHz), however Windows XP SP1 and several system analysis tools display its max speed as 1.67 GHz, although even AMD's own analysis tool identifies it as the 2600+ version (again, everytime I checked, 1.67GHz max.).

Now I know that the XP-M's change their speed according to usage, but the range I noticed is 516 MHz - 1.67 GHz.

Am I just overlooking something or is something screwed up with my laptop?

I tried having a word with the manufacturer, to no avail. I was directed at AMD's power-now! information page.

Thank you,

Caedriel

Edit: I had a friend, who actually has a "real" Athlon XP-M 2000+ ( 1.67Ghz) notebook benchmark his system, and our CPU performance values match....

Another stange thing is that CPUZ reports MMX(+), 3dnow (+) and SSE as instruction sets for my friends 2000+ CPU (Thouroughbred-core), however my 2600+ CPU is being reported to have only MMX (+) and 3dnow (+). The 2600+ CPU has a Barton-core.

This post has been edited by Caedriel on Jul 6 2004, 11:17 PM 
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information