Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 64 :- 130 nm or 90 nm?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2004 05:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2004 05:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
fazzyz

Hi, i'm new to the forum,

I'm wondering if people can help me here.

I am looking to buy a laptop in the near future. So i have the decision of the Pentium M ( shouldnt say that to loud in here lol) and the AMD 64 3400+

I was told that the AMD 64 is in competition more with the Pentium 4-M at the moment rather than the P-M range.
BUT.. when the AMD changes its chip to 90 nm instead of 130 nm it would be in competition with the Pentium M range

Can anyone explain the difference and most importantly are the 90nm in use now?
If so which manufactors are using them, if not when well they be in use and is it worth the wait? Are they already using them in models now etc etc

hope you can help
 09/18/2004 02:00 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Manufacturing process(130nm SOI or 90nm SOI) aside, Mobile AMD processors are generally divided into a number of different 'power-consumption classes'.
Depending on what 'class' a mobile Athlon 64 is, it would directly compete either with a Pentium 4-M or Pentium M.

Here's a quick overview:

81.5W Desktop replacement(DTR) - 1.50V Vcore(CPU-voltage):
Many people don't even consider these a mobile Athlon 64...Well, they *are* mobile parts(they're lidless, i.e. they don't have a heatspreader like all desktop A64s), but they're pretty much equal to their desktop-counterparts in terms of voltage and power-consumption - they're usually used in heavy, desktop-replacement type Notebooks with big displays and high-end(for a Notebook) GPU's.

DTR-parts will compete directly with P4-M or desktop P4 parts which are sometimes used in Notebooks - they do have a pretty-high(desktop-like) power-consumption, but will beat the pins off ANY other mobile part out there when it comes to processing-power.
The fastest currently available DTR-part is an Athlon 64 3700+(2.4GHz, 1MB L2-cache)

62W Mainstream - 1.40V Vcore:
These are your everyday Mobile Athlon 64 processors - they have a slightly lower default voltage and feature a noticably lower power-consumption.
You will find one of them in most Athlon 64 Notebooks.

Mainstream-parts are a bit inbetween...battery-life-wise, they will usually beat any Pentium 4-M based Notebook and they are also able to compete with some Pentium M based Notebooks.
The fastest currently available Mainstream part is an A64-M 3400+(2.2GHz, 1MB L2-cache).

35W Low-power - 1.20V Vcore:
Low-power parts have a significantly reduced default voltage and a very low power-consumption - with PowerNOW! enabled, they only need 12W at 800MHz.
Low-power parts are optimal for thin & light notebooks and can offer a vastly improved bettery-life while still delivering the outstanding performance of an Athlon 64 processor.

Now here's where it gets interesting...to my knowledge there aren't many Notebooks that use Low-power parts yet, but these are capable to rival a Pentium M based Notebook in terms of battery-life while beating it performance-wise.
This (Low-power) segment is also where you will see the first 90nm SOI Low-power Mobile Athlon 64s.
The fastest currently available Low-power part is an A64-M (LV) 2800+(1.8GHz, 512KB L2-cache) - soon there will be even faster Low-power parts with a 90nm SOI process, tho

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 09/18/2004 09:54 AM

Author Icon
fazzyz

thanks greyhound,

you say that soon there will be even faster Low-power parts with a 90nm SOI process, but how soon.

Do you think i should buy the AMD 64 3400+ now or wait tell the 90nm is in use? Again how long you think it will take?

also can you tell me which is better AMD 64 3400+ or P-M 1.7 Ghz

can you answer all 3 points
thanks bye
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information