Topic Title: Problems with Acer 1501LCe Athlon64 3000+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/28/2004 06:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/28/2004 06:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hi all! I recently purchased an Acer 1501LCe which is Athlon64 enabled (3000+). The system is quick, very pokey. I like it My intention is to use it as a replacement for my destop based DAW (audio/MIDI sequencing computer). Which it seems to be capable of doing, but...I have a problem!

Whenever the system is playing an audio file, whether through Media Player, or through my audio recording software (Nuendo2) around every 2 and a half minutes, there's a small dropout in the audio, and the mouse stops moving along with it. Only a short gap - probably wouldn't bug most people but it's not good news for multitrack recording. I thought it might be my Firewire 410 soundcard, but I tried just playing a file using the AC97 soundchip, and it did the same thing. It appears to be an entire system hang - very minute, but regular.

I've been told this could be because of speed stepping. I downloaded and tried a utility (SpeedwitchXP) to try and fix the CPU speed at max, but this just caused the problem to occur more frequently, so I've stopped using it.

So, I've pretty much ruled out the Firewire 410 soundcard, and am beggining to suspect this is some sort of mobile processor issue. Any tips for optimizing my laptops CPU for the kind of work I'm going to be doing (or just to get it to play an audio file for more than 2 and a half minutes withoug dropping out!!.

Many thanks!

- Paul Ortiz
 06/28/2004 06:39 AM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

I doubt it has anything to do with speedstepping as that works constantly. It would stop constantly if that was the case. Sounds like somthing going on in the background.
 06/28/2004 01:58 PM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hey Stix! Yeah I'm just investigating all possibilities really. I mean I've ruled out (perhaps prematurely) the M-Audio Firewire 410 soundcard/drivers, cos the problem occurs even when using the onboard AC97 on a clean install with no other applications whatsoever. And I kinda assumed it was processor related because SpeedswitchXP causes the exact same thing to happen, (only more frequenly). The last port of call is Acer - wonder if they have a user forum. But while I'm here, if anyone has any suggestions, any ideas or any insight, it'd be much appreciated. I mean yeah, it does seem like something's running in the background, but I've tried this on the cleanest of clean installs, and the only thing running in the background...is the O/S!! Are there known issues with Mobile Athlons and sustained transfer/processing of audio data? I mean this laptop was billed as a great business/multimedia desktop replacement, and I know as far as multitrack recording goes...yeah you could say I'm pushing my luck, but it should at least be able to play back a wave file without dropping out!

Thanks in advance,

Paul
 06/28/2004 05:09 PM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

Your right it should.... And everyone I have used has done this easily. As far as speed switching. If it is under a load it should not switch at all. And if it does switch you should not notice it if you do I would take the laptop back for service. Also if you wanna try reinstalling windows and leave OUT the powernow and all cpu drivers. That will tell you if it is the processor stepping up and down cause if you leave drivers out it will only run full speed.
 06/28/2004 05:41 PM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hey again! Thanks for the reply. Um okay well I think I'll image my system with Nuendo2 + plugs n stuff cos should I get desperate to make music (well [content edited], I already am! at least I can roll back quickly and just play...even if I have to put up with the dropouts

Um, so I think I know how to circumvent the CPU drivers (just don't run the installer .exe for the chip that came with the laptop, right?) but what about "PowerNow"? I don't remember seeing any option to omit this from the install....

I mean what would happen if I just removed the driver for the CPU from device manager....or would that be a very bad thing.....

06/28/2004 09:24 PM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

I beleive it may be in the drivers for the cpu. I just didn't install the drivers from the CD that came with it I downloaded all the ones I needed so I knew what was in there. I would not remove them from device manager yoy can try tho.
 06/29/2004 06:54 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

Hi, there seems to be a bug in the KT800 chipset and it creates these things with the sound . I got the same problem with my laptop. I don't think a reinstall will help you.

-------------------------
{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=boardrules
 06/29/2004 07:40 PM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

I have that chipset and I have no problems. Eithier do the 20 others I know. If there is provide links plz.
 06/30/2004 05:21 AM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Okay interesting that someone else has the same problem as me. This couldn't be an Acer thing could it? What brand laptop are you running Stix? And do you know anyone using an Acer notebook with the KT800 with no problems?

What would be great is if we could somehow compare general system settings between those of us with the problem and those without!
 06/30/2004 06:55 AM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

Thats why I asked for a link. I use the E-machines M6805
 06/30/2004 04:32 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (Stix @ Jun 30 2004, 02:55 AM) Thats why I asked for a link. I use the E-machines M6805
Hi again, sorry I don't have the link. A quick google search didn't help either. But I remember I read something about it in a forum before a while.

Anyway, now I don't think that the KT800 has a bug either. chimp_spanner I have the same problems with the laptop soundcard, as I said before. The newest sound card driver from VIA didn't help.

If you want to quickly recreate the problem, press Fn-F3 and you will get it! Also, I think when on battery and you move the mouse over the battery task tray icon, you got a good chance for the bug to appear.

Actually I've a solution for you to try. Close the acer "launch manager" utility. This one is responsible for the Fn-Fx and special keys stuff, but I think it creates the problem. Now I am playing music for 10 mins without any problem. Can you verify this?

{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
 06/30/2004 04:53 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

Hmm, actually something more drastic is necessary.

I killed all processes of acer software on my machine. And there are plenty.

a good util to find & kill processes is process explorer : http://www.sysinternals.com/nt...ware...e/procexp.shtml' ">http://www.sysinternals.com/nt...freeware/procexp.shtml

You can try running that and kill the various acer processes (wireless key, sound key process etc). If you try it, please inform me with the results.

06/30/2004 04:54 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

Ah,and get the latest vinyl codecs, just in case.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=328' ">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=328

apps that must die:

SynTP*
LaunchAp
HotkeyApp
powerkey
ctrlvol
wbutton
osd
agrsmmsg

06/30/2004 05:38 PM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Firstly, thanks for the multitude of replies Ariskk! I was starting to feel really alone here lol not to mention depressed. I think if I can't resolve this I'm just gunna push for a refund - screw my 7 days of "no quibble return" being up: this problem isnt down to bad configuration on my part as it even happens when I restore to factory defaults. So they sent me a laptop straight out the factory that experiences minute system hangs every 2 and a half minutes.....nice And it's not down to just plain poor choice of laptop, cos I would expect that a brand new, mid ranged Athlon 64 bit enabled laptop with Hypertransport offering..how many gigabytes of bandwidth, could manage one POXY audio file for more than a couple of minutes before screwing up.

*calms down*

But anyway, nice to know that someone else has the same problem then me, and also nice to know that you seem to have found a way to fix it...which means I'll have one last little go at this thing before I just give up and start making angry phone calls.

However...I disabled all the processes that you listed, and it still happened. To top it off, it happened after 1 minute, instead of the usual 2 and a half minutes of glitch free audio it graciously offers me. Add to this I'm starting to get long-ish (several seconds) of mouse inoperability (haven't managed to determine if it's linked to the droupouts yet). Is this sounding like a faulty laptop?

Are there any other things you've done to your setup that might explain how you have managed 10 minutes of uninterrupted audio?

Thanks again man

Paul
 06/30/2004 05:46 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jun 30 2004, 01:38 PM) Firstly, thanks for the multitude of replies Ariskk! I was starting to feel really alone here lol not to mention depressed. I think if I can't resolve this I'm just gunna push for a refund - screw my 7 days of "no quibble return" being up: this problem isnt down to bad configuration on my part as it even happens when I restore to factory defaults. So they sent me a laptop straight out the factory that experiences minute system hangs every 2 and a half minutes.....nice And it's not down to just plain poor choice of laptop, cos I would expect that a brand new, mid ranged Athlon 64 bit enabled laptop with Hypertransport offering..how many gigabytes of bandwidth, could manage one POXY audio file for more than a couple of minutes before screwing up.

*calms down*

But anyway, nice to know that someone else has the same problem then me, and also nice to know that you seem to have found a way to fix it...which means I'll have one last little go at this thing before I just give up and start making angry phone calls.

However...I disabled all the processes that you listed, and it still happened. To top it off, it happened after 1 minute, instead of the usual 2 and a half minutes of glitch free audio it graciously offers me. Add to this I'm starting to get long-ish (several seconds) of mouse inoperability (haven't managed to determine if it's linked to the droupouts yet). Is this sounding like a faulty laptop?

Are there any other things you've done to your setup that might explain how you have managed 10 minutes of uninterrupted audio?

Thanks again man

Paul
Please re-read my last post, since I've edited it several times . Maybe try installing the latest codecs by the link I provide in that post...

Anyway, it happened again to me too (I think), but surelly I don't have mouse inactivity. The funny thing I notice: I have windows media player with some visualization, when I press the bluetooth key (and this laptop doesn't have bluetooth hardware - even with acer processes killed), the visualisation instantly stops and starts!!! Also the mouse does that instant stop in this case. Funny...

06/30/2004 06:08 PM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hey again. Yeah I tried killing all the processes, even the ones you added after. Also, it happens when I'm not using the AC97 also. This, I think, is a problem at a far lower level than XP; something I can't fix. I've never had to spend a week solid on something, and I'm usually pretty persistent but I'm at the point of giving up. I think I'm gunna grovel to Acernotebooks.co.uk and apolagise for being cheeky and asking for my money back after 8 days instead of 7. I've had enough of this lol

Shame though cos where am I gunna find another 64 bit 3000 processor powered laptop for under 900 quid!
 06/30/2004 06:15 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jun 30 2004, 02:08 PM) Hey again. Yeah I tried killing all the processes, even the ones you added after. Also, it happens when I'm not using the AC97 also. This, I think, is a problem at a far lower level than XP; something I can't fix. I've never had to spend a week solid on something, and I'm usually pretty persistent but I'm at the point of giving up. I think I'm gunna grovel to Acernotebooks.co.uk and apolagise for being cheeky and asking for my money back after 8 days instead of 7. I've had enough of this lol

Shame though cos where am I gunna find another 64 bit 3000 processor powered laptop for under 900 quid!
Anyway, good luck with your next laptop , try avoiding Via chipsets. Acer has the 1510 line with nvidia chipset, that is if you still trustem

With all these fuzz about sound, now I found that the vinyl supports some reverb effects, cool!

06/30/2004 08:07 PM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

QUOTE (ariskk @ Jun 30 2004, 02:15 PM) QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jun 30 2004, 02:08 PM) Hey again. Yeah I tried killing all the processes, even the ones you added after.  Also, it happens when I'm not using the AC97 also.  This, I think, is a problem at a far lower level than XP; something I can't fix.  I've never had to spend a week solid on something, and I'm usually pretty persistent but I'm at the point of giving up.  I think I'm gunna grovel to Acernotebooks.co.uk and apolagise for being cheeky and asking for my money back after 8 days instead of 7.  I've had enough of this lol

Anyway, good luck with your next laptop , try avoiding Via chipsets. Acer has the 1510 line with nvidia chipset, that is if you still trustem

With all these fuzz about sound, now I found that the vinyl supports some reverb effects, cool!
Don't blame VIA. Also the Mods will get you if you post like that. Keep editing the one post or they may bite ya
 07/01/2004 04:44 AM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

I know blaming manufacturers is always easy to do when the user is at fault, but I mean I like to think I'm not a dummy when it comes to audio/MIDI setups (I've been using the things since forever). I've just never worked on something for 7 days straight and had absolutely no positive change!! And I've tried everything I know, plus some stuff I didn't know (by reading, researching). I mean short of becoming some sort of qualified laptop technician there's not much more I can do, and it has to come down to either faulty parts, or an inherant flaw in the design of this particular mobo and combination of components, in which case, I most definitely want either my money back, or an exchange for something of similar value that actually works right! I shall see what my laptop vendor has to say about it....

Here's hoping!!!!
 07/01/2004 08:58 AM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (Stix @ Jun 30 2004, 04:07 PM) QUOTE (ariskk @ Jun 30 2004, 02:15 PM) QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jun 30 2004, 02:08 PM) Hey again. Yeah I tried killing all the processes, even the ones you added after.  Also, it happens when I'm not using the AC97 also.  This, I think, is a problem at a far lower level than XP; something I can't fix.  I've never had to spend a week solid on something, and I'm usually pretty persistent but I'm at the point of giving up.  I think I'm gunna grovel to Acernotebooks.co.uk and apolagise for being cheeky and asking for my money back after 8 days instead of 7.  I've had enough of this lol

Don't blame VIA. Also the Mods will get you if you post like that. Keep editing the one post or they may bite ya
Does your laptop use the KT8233 chipset for sound?

Well, I got various problems with via chipsets, and as a customer I can freely express my opinion on products I payed for

Anyway, if it works for you, then it's not VIA's fault.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information