Topic Title: Problems with Acer 1501LCe Athlon64 3000+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/28/2004 06:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/01/2004 04:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Okay well I bit the bullet, laptop is going to Acer for repair/replacement tomorrow.

Acernotebooks.co.uk couldnt accept an unconditional return after 8 days...only one day after the 7 day return period (7 days of which were spent trying to avoid having to send it back!!!!. But in all fairness, they've been very helpful. THey're just following their own policy to the letter...can't blame them for that. Not sure I'd reccomend this model (we'll see when/if I get a working replacement) but I'd reccomend the company in as much as their promptness and customer service.

I'm trying one last factory restore just to confirm this problem, and also cos I'd imagine they want it in its default state when it reaches them. So yeah. I've been defeated.
 07/01/2004 06:02 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jul 1 2004, 12:09 PM) Okay well I bit the bullet, laptop is going to Acer for repair/replacement tomorrow.

Acernotebooks.co.uk couldnt accept an unconditional return after 8 days...only one day after the 7 day return period (7 days of which were spent trying to avoid having to send it back!!!!. But in all fairness, they've been very helpful. THey're just following their own policy to the letter...can't blame them for that. Not sure I'd reccomend this model (we'll see when/if I get a working replacement) but I'd reccomend the company in as much as their promptness and customer service.

I'm trying one last factory restore just to confirm this problem, and also cos I'd imagine they want it in its default state when it reaches them. So yeah. I've been defeated.
So you mean they'll give you one of the same model?
I'm afraid the problem will persist, but I wish you good luck.

I've been asking Acer tech support via email a question about wireless and they did answer in 1 day, but I didn't got any reply for my 2nd email yet.

-------------------------
{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?act=boardrules
 07/01/2004 08:29 PM

Author Icon
Stix
Linux Ninja

QUOTE (ariskk @ Jul 1 2004, 04:58 AM) QUOTE (Stix @ Jun 30 2004, 04:07 PM) QUOTE (ariskk @ Jun 30 2004, 02:15 PM) QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jun 30 2004, 02:08 PM) Hey again. Yeah I tried killing all the processes, even the ones you added after.  Also, it happens when I'm not using the AC97 also.  This, I think, is a problem at a far lower level than XP; something I can't fix.  I've never had to spend a week solid on something, and I'm usually pretty persistent but I'm at the point of giving up.  I think I'm gunna grovel to Acernotebooks.co.uk and apolagise for being cheeky and asking for my money back after 8 days instead of 7.  I've had enough of this lol

Shame though cos where am I gunna find another 64 bit 3000 processor powered laptop for under 900 quid!
Anyway, good luck with your next laptop , try avoiding Via chipsets. Acer has the 1510 line with nvidia chipset, that is if you still trustem

With all these fuzz about sound, now I found that the vinyl supports some reverb effects, cool!
Don't blame VIA. Also the Mods will get you if you post like that. Keep editing the one post or they may bite ya
Does your laptop use the KT8233 chipset for sound?

Well, I got various problems with via chipsets, and as a customer I can freely express my opinion on products I payed for

Anyway, if it works for you, then it's not VIA's fault.
Never said ya could not. But if ya want to make misinformed info thats cool.
 07/04/2004 06:34 AM

Author Icon
hezzy

Hi

Sorry to hear you are having the same problems I had, mine was due to a faulty Motherboard which they repair but managed to add a few additional faults which they could not repair. My machine was with Acer for 30 days before they finally admitted and repalced the machine with a different model.

I suggest you don't send it back ot Acer but to your supplier and ask for a replacment or a full refund, once the machine goes back to Acer ou will not be able to get a refund or a replacement machine for a long time like me (because Acer say they are trying to repair it and the supplier says they can't give a refund as Acer have the machine, and Acer say they are trying to repair it and that my contract is with the resselr and not Acer, got very messy.

My machine also had a fault with the firewire card I could not record top my camcorder without either a video drop out or an audio glitch. I could get it to glitch when i moved the mouse over the battery Icon.

Hezzy.

07/04/2004 09:05 AM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (hezzy @ Jul 4 2004, 02:34 AM) Hi

Sorry to hear you are having the same problems I had, mine was due to a faulty Motherboard which they repair but managed to add a few additional faults which they could not repair. My machine was with Acer for 30 days before they finally admitted and repalced the machine with a different model.

I suggest you don't send it back ot Acer but to your supplier and ask for a replacment or a full refund, once the machine goes back to Acer ou will not be able to get a refund or a replacement machine for a long time like me (because Acer say they are trying to repair it and the supplier says they can't give a refund as Acer have the machine, and Acer say they are trying to repair it and that my contract is with the resselr and not Acer, got very messy.

My machine also had a fault with the firewire card I could not record top my camcorder without either a video drop out or an audio glitch. I could get it to glitch when i moved the mouse over the battery Icon.

Hezzy.
I've just send an email to Acer's tech support, hoping to get a solution. I've also asked them to allow me to post their reply here.

By the way, the issue happens on winxp64 beta too, so it doesn't seem to be related with the pre-installed OS.

{Signature removed. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines regarding signatures}
 07/04/2004 09:48 AM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hey again guys!

Hezzy - Unfortunately I've already sent the laptop back to Acer (they promised me a 3-5 day turnaround...we'll see :-\ ) as the vendor - Acernotebooks.co.uk - told me that seeing how my 7 day "trial" period was over, any technical matters should be handled directly by Acer Brand Operations in the UK...which I still think is dodgy cos if they've sold me something that's faulty, they should send one out that's not, and they can deal with Acer to get it repaired so it can be resold or whatever.

So when your laptop was returned to you, was the audio problem gone altogether??? Are you using a 1500 series, and is it fully functional after its rather long stay with Acer? It doesn't surprise me you had problems with DV capture using onboard firewire - it would seem that the FW port on the laptop isn't compatible with alot of things, hence I had to buy myself a Texas Instruments PCMCIA-to-1394 adapter just to get my external FW soundcard to work for more than 1 minute at a go!

Ariskk - That's great, if this is a more common problem than I first thought, I think it's vital that people let Acer know. I wonder how many people out there are using the 1500 series laptops with this fault and think nothing of it?

Also, I tried WinXP 64 beta, WinXP Pro, WinXP Home, Win2000 (! and the same thing happened every time, so I think it's safe to say this isn't an OS issue, no.

It's kinda nice/reassuring to speak to people with the same problem I mean I've sold my desktop machine..this laptop is/was gunna be my means of making music when I go to Uni, but also while I'm just at home. So you can imagine I'm feeling mighty bummed out with no DAW, £800 less in the bank, and an obscure problem which, until now, it seemed no-one else except me was experiencing. I just hope Acer don't pull a fast one and try and dismiss it. It's not a small problem, especially when it comes to Multimedia use. I mean what if I was just using the laptop to play....DJ sets? Or play back video+audio using the S-Video out for presentations? They put these features there for a reason, so it's not like we're asking the unreasonable to expect there not to be these stupid glitches.

Grr, sorry. I could rant for ages. But I won't. Sufficed to say I'm not waiting 30 days to get this sorted. If I don't hear from them within 2 weeks (even that's pushing it) I'm gunna start makin so much noise it's untrue.

07/04/2004 10:34 AM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jul 4 2004, 05:48 AM) Hey again guys!

Hezzy - Unfortunately I've already sent the laptop back to Acer (they promised me a 3-5 day turnaround...we'll see :-\ ) as the vendor - Acernotebooks.co.uk - told me that seeing how my 7 day "trial" period was over, any technical matters should be handled directly by Acer Brand Operations in the UK...which I still think is dodgy cos if they've sold me something that's faulty, they should send one out that's not, and they can deal with Acer to get it repaired so it can be resold or whatever.

So when your laptop was returned to you, was the audio problem gone altogether??? Are you using a 1500 series, and is it fully functional after its rather long stay with Acer? It doesn't surprise me you had problems with DV capture using onboard firewire - it would seem that the FW port on the laptop isn't compatible with alot of things, hence I had to buy myself a Texas Instruments PCMCIA-to-1394 adapter just to get my external FW soundcard to work for more than 1 minute at a go!

Ariskk - That's great, if this is a more common problem than I first thought, I think it's vital that people let Acer know. I wonder how many people out there are using the 1500 series laptops with this fault and think nothing of it?

Also, I tried WinXP 64 beta, WinXP Pro, WinXP Home, Win2000 (! and the same thing happened every time, so I think it's safe to say this isn't an OS issue, no.

It's kinda nice/reassuring to speak to people with the same problem I mean I've sold my desktop machine..this laptop is/was gunna be my means of making music when I go to Uni, but also while I'm just at home. So you can imagine I'm feeling mighty bummed out with no DAW, £800 less in the bank, and an obscure problem which, until now, it seemed no-one else except me was experiencing. I just hope Acer don't pull a fast one and try and dismiss it. It's not a small problem, especially when it comes to Multimedia use. I mean what if I was just using the laptop to play....DJ sets? Or play back video+audio using the S-Video out for presentations? They put these features there for a reason, so it's not like we're asking the unreasonable to expect there not to be these stupid glitches.

Grr, sorry. I could rant for ages. But I won't. Sufficed to say I'm not waiting 30 days to get this sorted. If I don't hear from them within 2 weeks (even that's pushing it) I'm gunna start makin so much noise it's untrue.

This problem can disturb a lot of people who just listen to mp3's.

The funny thing is that this problem occurs also every time I hit the acer's special keys or some Fn-X combination!!! What kind of keys do fully block the machine for 1/10 of a second?

Lets wait till friday and see what acer will reply. Hopefully they'll allow me to post the reply here.

07/04/2004 11:38 AM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Well I mean the Fn key thing I could probably live with - most of the Fn keys relate to some actual hardware component (the gfx card for external displays, wireless LAN cards) and I mean I'd probably avoid hitting Fn+"x" while recording guitar but still, I get what ya mean!!

Definitely let me know what Acer have to say though regarding the problem we've had.

Oh and what email address did you use? THey kept bouncing my tech support emails so in the end I had to actually phone them
 07/04/2004 02:14 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jul 4 2004, 07:38 AM) Well I mean the Fn key thing I could probably live with - most of the Fn keys relate to some actual hardware component (the gfx card for external displays, wireless LAN cards) and I mean I'd probably avoid hitting Fn+"x" while recording guitar but still, I get what ya mean!!

Definitely let me know what Acer have to say though regarding the problem we've had.

Oh and what email address did you use? THey kept bouncing my tech support emails so in the end I had to actually phone them
Even the bluetooth key does the "thing", and I got no bluetooth hardware!

I was browsing the european site of acer, then I choose the support for eastern europe, and email them.

07/05/2004 06:29 AM

Author Icon
hezzy

Hi Chimp_Spanner

I will never know if Acer actually repaired the fault as they never returned the laptop back, they simply replaced it with a different but better spec model.

According to Acer they repaired the original fault by replacing the motherboard, when they put it together they ended up with a faulty screen, they replaced this screen and that to was faulty, after that everytime I rang them, they just simply told me that they were awaiting spares, this continued for about 21 days and finally after speaking to a supervisor and my original supplier Acer sent a replacement machine.

Incidently they also promised me a 5 day turnaround as well.

And yes the fault and audio glitches were there when I pressed any of the Six quick launch buttons or any of the Fn + keys, Sound like they have a common Fault on these machines.

The machine was in my possession for about a week or so.

If you send me your email address I will forward the email exchanges with Acer.

Good Luck

Hezzy
 07/05/2004 06:39 AM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hello again Hezzy!

Well....apart from the 30 day wait, that's kinda cool....gettin a higher spec'd model What was your original laptop, and what did they replace it with, just out of interest??

My email address is paulortiz12 at hotmail dot com

Obviously substitute the "at" and "dot" for "@" and "." - ya know what spam bots are like But that'd be great to see the correspondance that went on, cheers alot man!!!!

- Paul
 07/07/2004 03:00 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

I got the reply from Acer, they say that I can try re-installing from their CD's, and if that doesn't work I shall take the laptop for service.

Well, we already know that reinstalling doesn't help, so basically only service and replacement could work.

07/07/2004 04:10 PM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Quite irritating that they fobbed you off with the same (initial) response as me. I mean it's pretty obvious that most people will of tried a factory default restore. If it was easy as that, would they really be at the "phoning tech support" stage?!!! Well I phoned them today just to check that mine actually got there (Citylink have a dodgy track record with ME....not saying this applies to everyone. In this instance, they've been spot on..so far! and he said that it had just been booked in for servicing today - I sent it on friday I think it was. So yeah that aint bad I suppose. He said if I phone again on friday they should have more to tell me.

Oh and thanks a bunch Hezzy - got the email Sounds like you had a rough deal man.

07/08/2004 03:33 AM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (chimp_spanner @ Jul 7 2004, 12:10 PM) Quite irritating that they fobbed you off with the same (initial) response as me.  I mean it's pretty obvious that most people will of tried a factory default restore.  If it was easy as that, would they really be at the "phoning tech support" stage?!!!  Well I phoned them today just to check that mine actually got there (Citylink have a dodgy track record with ME....not saying this applies to everyone.  In this instance, they've been spot on..so far! and he said that it had just been booked in for servicing today - I sent it on friday I think it was. So yeah that aint bad I suppose.  He said if I phone again on friday they should have more to tell me.

Oh and thanks a bunch Hezzy - got the email   Sounds like you had a rough deal man.
Well, I think these are casual answers for tech support. I mean I've been getting much worse answers over the phone by tech support of various companies. All those women who answer the phone and give you some help based probably on a list they had to memorize or so.

I think what they said is fair, since they don't know if I screwed up the machine, as long as acer really isn't aware of this 1501 issue. If they are aware, things are different ofcourse.

What is not fair is loosing for 30 days my laptop, cause that's what will happen if I take it for service. I'll give the service a call and see what they have to say about it.

Edit: I found a newer bios version (1.06 instead of 1.05) in the acerPanAm site. I've flashed it and will try to see if it did anything later.

07/08/2004 10:07 AM

Author Icon
ariskk

No luck with the new bios.

07/08/2004 12:10 PM

Author Icon
chimp_spanner

Hey Arrisk. Well, thats good in a way that the BIOS update didn't work, cos at least it's not a problem that's so easily solved, and is indeed worthy of the engineers time.

I phoned up yesterday, and they told me to phone friday. I phoned today out of sheer impatience and they told me to phone Tuesday......I'm startin to get a bad feelin lol

My main worry is that just the act of taking apart the laptop then re-assembling it increases the chance that something might go wrong later on. Perhaps thats just silly of me but ya know I don't wanna get the thing back, find that yay..the sound works but oh look...dodgy sreen/touchpad/keyboard/etc.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has had a solution to this that doesnt involve being given a different model (the Ferrari 3200 is great sure, but going by the specs on the Acer site, it's a 2800+ not a 3000+ like the 1501LCe I originally ordered).

07/08/2004 01:09 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

With the ferrari you can play games too, cause it has a good graph card.

About reassembling, it depends on how carefull the technician is. I've reassembled dozens of times my desktop PC and it still works as new (2+ years now)

Anyway, if the bios can't do the trick, I think nothing can and hopefully I will be proven wrong.

07/08/2004 04:27 PM

Author Icon
standarz

hi again ariskk,

do you remember me?
from "better perfomance" for our 1501LMI and "drivers for win64" that we had problems with FIR, wirelesss,graphics.... and "the die pixel" that i recover pressing the screen.

since i bought it i did´nt use the sound still so much

tell me about
 07/08/2004 05:48 PM

Author Icon
ariskk

QUOTE (standarz @ Jul 8 2004, 12:27 PM) hi again ariskk,

do you remember me?
from "better perfomance" for our 1501LMI and "drivers for win64" that we had problems with FIR, wirelesss,graphics.... and "the die pixel" that i recover pressing the screen.

i have read about that problem about sound and the keys Fn.... and my 1501 dosen´t seem to have it, i play mp3 files with windows media player, and at the same time i use all the functions Fn+F1,F2...... with battery mode and desktop mode. or the problem is only when you use an external sound card using the fireware port????

please tell me how is that problem and if a i really dont have it, i will tell you all how is my actual configuration.

well, it happens with the internal sound card as well.

This is probably some hardware problem they had in the early,maybe, versions of the 1501 (this is what I'm thinking ofcourse).

Can you go to the bios and tell me the version? My bios version is 1.06

07/08/2004 07:03 PM

Author Icon
standarz

AS1500_V1.05

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information