Increase font size
Topic Title: XP-M 2600 varying clock speeds
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/27/2004 05:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/27/2004 05:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
aerris

Hello,
I have just bought a laptop with an Athlon XP-M 2600.
It is running Win XP. When i check the systems properties, it recognises the procressor make and model, but reports the Clock Speed to be anywhere from 500 Mhz to 1.99 Ghz.

Is this supposed to be happening? I thought it may be a power-save feature or something?

It goes up to 1.99Ghz when i put things under load etc, but when sitting idle it drops right down to 500Mhz

I tried to isntall Halo, but it said that my processor was not operating fast enough.
I tried again after loading control panel and the chip was back at 1.99 and Halo installed.

Any ideas? Can i disable this if it is a "feature"?

The chip speed in BIOS is recognised as 2000 Mhz.
Do i need to run some other program to disable the processor speed drop and have it run at 1.99 Ghz all the time? Maybe its a feature of Win XP on notebooks?

Thanks
Aerris
 09/27/2004 03:49 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

I think this is what is known as PowerNow technology from AMD in their processors. This makes it so that less-power consuming tasks don't need unnecessary energy. For laptops, it is good.
 09/27/2004 06:58 PM

Author Icon
JHawk56
Elite

There is a program called SpeedSwitchXP that lets you control the CPU speed. I learned about it in this thread' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.ph...opic=25459&hl=notebook.

John

-------------------------
My ECS/PCCHIPS/Amptron PCs<br>ASRock K7VM2
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information