Increase font size
Topic Title: Turion 64 slows down in high cpu usage
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/07/2007 10:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2007 10:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
InsaneNutter

Hey i have an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop which has a AMD Turion 64 ML-37 processor, currently running Vista (I get the same problem below in xp though)

Over the last few months I’ve noticed than when I try to play games such or do anything that makes the cpu use a lot of processing power the processor will slow down from 2ghz to 800mhz after I’ve been playing for a min or 2.

This causes the game to become real jerky and look like it’s been played in slow motion, then the processor will randomly speed up to 2000mhz again then back to 800mhz... i know its doing this because I’m playing the game in windowed mode with Cpuz open and when the game goes all slow it shows the processor speed as 800mhz.

I’ve set the power plan to high performance but it still don’t make any difference, does anyone know what could be wrong? This never used to happen...
Thanks for reading!
 02/07/2007 12:41 PM

Author Icon
aggiebroz

I also have the ferrari 4005 and I use rmclock to manage my cpu power levels, but i don't remember having this problem when using the amd drivers. Although i do remember some of the older games base the game speed off of the clock speed and if the cpu speed changed anytime after the game initially started then the speed would be slow or sometimes extra fast. i usually avoided that by selecting max performance before loading the game.

If that doesn't work then try downloading newer cpu drivers from amd or you could go ahead and use rmclock which gives you the chance to undervolt your cpu(that makes the battery last longer with no loss of performance and temps will go down). Also check your cpu temp while gaming, I looked it up and acer throttles the cpu back at 95C which is really hot, if its overheating you have a hardware problem. my temps while gaming are usually about 55--65, before undervolting they were just over 70.
 02/15/2007 09:54 AM

Author Icon
InsaneNutter

I guess the clock speed was slowing down because the CPU was getting too hot, i took the laptop apart and cleaned all the dust out, it now seams a lot quiter and idel's at 800mhz and stays at 2ghz when gaming!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information