Increase font size
Topic Title: PowerNow and clock speed questions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/01/2004 02:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/01/2004 02:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
midnilux

I installed windows 2000 and was able to download PowerNow! which let me choose to run my PC in 800mhz-2000mhz mode or in full 2000mhz mode where it doesnt matter what Im doing it will be running at 2000mhz always.

But I took win2k off a few days ago, and switched to XP Pro.

According to what I have read, windows XP does this automatically in the power settings, but is it possible for my BIOS or something to not support mhz-switching changes through power settings on Windows XP?

I ask because on Win2k, when I ran in save battery mode, and I checked my hardware (with programs or on sites) it would say I have a 800mhz processor, which is fine. When I ran on full blow out mode when I checked my hardware it would say 2000mhz, but with Windows XP it doesnt matter what I choose the sites and my porgrams always say im running at 800mhz. Is it just the programs being stupid and unable to detect the clock speed?

And I know there is an AMD Dashboard program to see the CPU load, charge, and what not but when I install it, it crashed windows and I have to take it out in safe mode or go back a day on windows restore.

My specs are:

Windows XP w/ SP2
AMD™ Mobile Athlon™64 3200+ Processor
Mobile ATI Radeon 9700 PRO 128MB Video
1024 MB PC2700 333MHz DDR Memory
60GB 5400RPM Ultra ATA 100 Hard Drive
 10/01/2004 03:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
midnilux

Well I went into by BIOS and disabled 32 bit mode and everything works now, I can see the power settings change and what not with PowerNow when I make changes in the power options of the control panel.

Weird thing is to install windows xp I had to enable 32 bit mode or it would lead me to a blue screen error and freze my PC. But now I switched back to 64 bit and everything seems fine.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information