Increase font size
Topic Title: Drillhammer? New core?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/21/2004 10:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/21/2004 10:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mek_nginear

Newegg has started advertising for sale a new processor (AMD 35W Mobile Athlon 64 2700+ and 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor) and they are calling it a "Drillhammer" core. (http://www.newegg.com/app/View...19-103-449&depa=1)

What is the significance of the "Drillhammer" moniker? (this is the first mention of it that I have seen)

Also, I've been looking at the new HP/Compaq notebooks which can be ordered with XP-M or AMD64 processors (both socket 754). I presume that the XP-M's are Semprons, a "neutered" AMD64 CPU with most of the cache and the x64 extensions disabled, but with the A64 on-die memory controller intact, correct?

Would ANY socket 754 AMD64 (or Sempron) CPU work with these notebooks, or only "mobile" CPU's (the two "Drillhammer mobiles" are 1.2V, the "regular" "Clawhammer mobiles" are 1.4V, and the non-mobile socket 754 AMD64 CPU's are 1.5V.

-------------------------
Currently- Athlon 2400XP-M (35W mobile) overclocked to 2.39Ghz (217x11), Abit NF7-S V2 motherboard, 512Meg (dual-channel) Geil pc3500 Ultra Platinum RAM, Radeon 8500-64 videocard, 680 GB HDD's, Windows 2000SP4. Previous CPU in same 'puter was a XP1700DLT3C- O/C'd to same speed, but ran 8-10 degrees C hotter.

This is the second 35W 2400XP-M (mobile Barton) I've tried. The first turned-out to be a 128K L2 cache Thorton that had to be RMA'd. AMD refused to admit t
 07/22/2004 04:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE What is the significance of the "Drillhammer" moniker? (this is the first mention of it that I have seen)
The 35W Low-power mobile Athlon 64's have the 'Newcastle'-core(model C) - 'Drillhammer' is simply incorrect...newegg has been known to put up incorrect specs for the processors' they're selling in the past
QUOTE Also, I've been looking at the new HP/Compaq notebooks which can be ordered with XP-M or AMD64 processors (both socket 754). I presume that the XP-M's are Semprons, a "neutered" AMD64 CPU with most of the cache and the x64 extensions disabled, but with the A64 on-die memory controller intact, correct?
Pretty much, yes...
The 'Athlon XP-M's' HP/Compaq are using in some of their Notebooks are indeed Athlon 64-based parts('Dublin'-core) with AMD64(x86-64) disabled and only 256KB(3000+) or 128KB(2800+) of L2-cache - other than that, they benefit from all architectural improvements of the Athlon 64 and the Socket 754 platform: On-die memory-controller, Hypertransport I/O-link, etc.

However, they're not really Semprons, as Semprons have not been officially released yet while HP/Compaq laptops featuring them have been out for awhile...the first mobile Semprons might use the same 'Dublin'-core, tho.
QUOTE Would ANY socket 754 AMD64 (or Sempron) CPU work with these notebooks, or only "mobile" CPU's (the two "Drillhammer mobiles" are 1.2V, the "regular" "Clawhammer mobiles" are 1.4V, and the non-mobile socket 754 AMD64 CPU's are 1.5V.
Theoretically, you can use any current Socket 754 processor on any current Socket 754 motherboard regardless of whether it's desktop or mobile.
There are a few important things to consider, tho:

First off, ALL mobile Socket 754 parts are lidless which means they DON'T have a heatspreader like their desktop-counterparts.
Theoretically, you could remove the heatspreader...with a medium to high risk of damaging the processor.

Secondly, you will have to consider cooling and power limitations of a Laptop/Notebook:

Right now, there are three 'classes' of Mobile Athlon 64 processors:

- Desktop-replacement (DTR): 81.5W max. power-consumption, 1.50V Vcore, OPN-prefix: 'AMA...'
These are pretty close to their 'normal' desktop-counterparts, except for the slightly lower power-consumption(81.5W vs 89W) and extended maximum temperature(95°C vs. 70°C).

- Mainstream: 62W max. power-consumption, 1.40V Vcore, OPN-prefix: 'AMN...'
These are your 'everyday' mobile parts - they feature a noticably lower power-consumption than their desktop and DTR counterparts

- Low-power: 35W max. power-consumption, 1.20V Vcore, OPN-prefix: 'AMD...'
These are the new LV-parts - with their extremely low power-consumption, they are ideally suited for thin and light Notebooks and can also provide bigger units with an extended battery-life

Now, you can't just put a DTR-part in a Notebook that is designed for Mainstream or even Low-power parts - it would fit mechanically, of course, but the notebook's cooling and possibly its powersupply wouldn't be able to come with the higher power-requirements and heat-dissipation.
On the other hand, you *can* put a Maintream or Low-power part in a Notebook designed for processors with a higher power-consumption.

The 'Dublin' AXP-M's that HP/Compaq is using in those Notebooks are 62W Mainstream parts, so you could replace them with a 62W Mainstream or 35W Low-power mobile Athlon 64 - a DTR or even a desktop part would NOT work.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information