AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Why does my AMD Processor's usage are always going UP and DOWN.
Topic Summary: Processors speeds with battery and speeds when pluged in.
Created On: 01/31/2008 05:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/31/2008 05:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
8o8boi

I have a new HP Pavilion Laptop w/ an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-64 w/ 2 GB RAM. Running Vista 32 bit.

I have noticed everytime i unplug my laptop and make it run on batteries, the processor speeds goes up and works around 75-100 percent. When i plug the power back in, the speeds slows down to around 25-45 percent. I do this with dual core monitor displayed on my screen.

1-Is this trying to tell me something?
2-Why does it speed up and stays constant at high levels with my battery alone?
3-Would this be robbing me of my battery time?

Someone please explain how power sources affect processors..
 02/02/2008 02:47 AM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

It's weird that the CPU usage is going up. You probably have something running in the background. Spyware/trojans, or just programs that start when Windows loads (startup processes) that don't need to be running but set themselves to. (sorry if you know this, I don't want to make you feel dumb but I don't want to assume you know everything, plus it's late at night and I'm bored so I just type lol)

With my mobile AMD processor, when I unplug the laptop its speed goes from 2.2GHz down to 800MHz. This is called Thermal Throttling, I believe. I think Cool 'n Quiet is responsible for this or something.

-------------------------
ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
Phenom II X4 925c2 @ 2.80GHz (95W)
OCZ Platinum PC3-1333 2x2GB 7-7-7-21
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.
 02/02/2008 12:22 PM

Author Icon
StockStiff

I am having the same problem with my Compaq (HP now) V3019US laptop. I have owned the laptop over 1-1/2 years and all was fine. As far as I can tell, the problem started with a BIOS update two weeks ago, to version .F39 (F.39?). The laptop runs at HIGH voltage/speed on battery and LOW voltage/speed on AC power. YES, this robs battery life, tremendously. I used to get ~1.5 hours. Battery life is down to ~45 minutes now.

If you have a newer laptop, with Service Calls available maybe you can contact HP/Compaq for an answer and post here.

What BIOS version are you running?

SS~
 02/05/2008 12:25 PM

Author Icon
8o8boi

well, i just bought it and owned it for two weeks. I took out the Vista Areo and the sidebar. It ramps up when it runs on batteries alone and is this typical?
-You try it,
-Get a gadget that reads the processor speed or you could just use the task manger.
-See what happens with battery in and power adapter in.
-Then unplug the adapter.

------
I did not download any other software except the recomemded security updates. Just had it for a week and i noticed this. BIOS update? did you get that fixed already?
-------
More Specs.

HP Pavilion tx2000
Vista Home Premium 32 bit
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core @ 2.2
2 GB ram 667mhz

Bios version--???

----
For the people who owns tx1000, i really recomend the upgrade to tx2000. If you have the money, get the upgrade. The wacom digitizer built in is totally awesome. I previously owned a tx1000--- upgrade for 400 bucks more, and it was worth it!!. And they fixed out the obvious bugs. Although it is still a little slugish, try getting a faster processor and bigger ram.
 02/26/2008 12:46 AM

Author Icon
SolnzeUSB
Deprecated

What exactly have they improved on with tx2000?
I'm not really keen on upgrading just because they put in WACOM.

-------------------------
"Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners." V.I.Lenin

HP tx1000 | Touch-screen | TL-64 Tyler | 4GB RAM | SSD + HDD dual drive | 802.11n | Win7 U-64 + Vista U-64
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information