Increase font size
Topic Title: Other Devices -> SM Bus Controller & Mass Storage Controller
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/29/2008 11:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/29/2008 11:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
the_quickening

I was having problems with a Compaq Presario V5000, so I did a clean install. After formatting & re-installing Windows XP Pro, I noticed a number of drivers that for whatever reason were not re-installed properly, including but not limited to the modem, video card, and the wireless card. Windows was able to reinstall these drivers using Windows' Device Manager.

However, I am now left with two controllers I cannot get the drivers for -- SM Bus Controller & Mass Storage Controller. After doing some google searches, it appears I may need the following chipset drivers: ATI RS480/482 Southbridge Drivers. But I cannot locate these on the ATI website. Links to said drivers on the seem to require payment or lead to broken links.

Can anyone verify that this is in fact the case and perhaps offer assistance in tracking these down? Or am I on the wrong track? Thanks very much for any assistance.

Info from SIW that may be useful:

Motherboard: HP 30A4
Chipset Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chipset Model: RS480 Host Bridge
South Bridge: IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge

UPDATE: I guess I should've noted that this machine is running on an AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37, since this is an AMD board.
 05/30/2008 07:31 AM

Author Icon
the_quickening

I was able to track down the drivers necessary for these two controllers, but I figured I'd provide an update for anyone else who may run into these problems in the future.

The Mass Storage Controller was the smart media card reader & required a TI driver.

Link

The SM Bus controller was found in the chipset drivers. I obtained this through

Link

The particular file that solved my problem was 8-5_xp32-64_sb_63033.exe.

Thanks again.
 05/30/2008 08:36 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

The SM Bus is part of the chipset driver.
As for the Mass Storage Ctrllr, that is separate SATA/RAID driver.
If things usually work fine with no SMBus (there are exceptions), the storge controller can cause a lot of trouble for any SATA/RAID and other storage devices. Of course this one is unimportant for IDE devices.

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 05/31/2008 12:53 AM

Author Icon
freepims

Just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction of the file that fixed your problem. It was the same one I had and I got the information from SIW and it was like I was on the same hunting trial you were but you saved me by posting the file name.

8-5_xp32-64_sb_63033.exe.

I located it here, http://files.3dnews.org/pub/drivers/ati/, and now the problem is cured. Thanks a ton!

freepims

Edited: 05/31/2008 at 09:40 AM by freepims
 12/16/2010 02:11 PM

Author Icon
TreesInDahHouse
Lurker

Please Help.

I am looking for the Chipset Driver for an Averatec 2500 Series running an AMD Turion 64 with XP pro OS

I cannot seem to install the hardware drivers for the SMB Bus Controller.

It'd be great if someone could actuall help me....I've scoured the web....no answers for me yet and no resolution for the issue.

Process This!
 12/16/2010 03:04 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Please don't repost the same thread in different areas on here, it is annoying.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information