Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading my laptop 754 processor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/27/2005 05:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/27/2005 05:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cochris

I have a Compaq Presario R3210US which has a 1.6GHz AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+ processor in it. After doing a little research, turns out it's supposedly a skt754 processor built around the athlon 64 core.

Although I enjoy the fact it doesn't get very hot and the batteries last a good while, I'm considering upgrading the processor.

A few questions on my mind are:
- Do I need to stay within the current power limit? (~62W I think)
- Will a processor that uses more power than the current one and/or generates more heat trip some kind of protection mechanism for power or heat and ultimately not work?
- Can I get a different line of processor (ex: this is a knock-off Athlon 64, can I get a true Mobile Athlon 64 and will the bios and mobo still like it?)
- What are some good Mobile Processor choices (like, what is the Turion, and there are several other varieties of Mobile A64.)
- What other limitations, concerns, and tips are there?

Also, I know there are definitely faster processors available, but are there ones that are both faster and use around (or less?) power than the current one (such as advances in chip technology since this one was developed?)
(Faster being relative, not literally GHz faster, but can just run stuff quicker, such as games /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

Thanks a lot
 11/28/2005 12:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
miner

QUOTE(cochris @ Nov 27 2005, 02:35 AM)I have a Compaq Presario R3210US which has a 1.6GHz AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+ processor in it. After doing a little research, turns out it's supposedly a skt754 processor built around the athlon 64 core.

Although I enjoy the fact it doesn't get very hot and the batteries last a good while, I'm considering upgrading the processor.

A few questions on my mind are:
- Do I need to stay within the current power limit? (~62W I think)
- Will a processor that uses more power than the current one and/or generates more heat trip some kind of protection mechanism for power or heat and ultimately not work?
- Can I get a different line of processor (ex: this is a knock-off Athlon 64, can I get a true Mobile Athlon 64 and will the bios and mobo still like it?)
- What are some good Mobile Processor choices (like, what is the Turion, and there are several other varieties of Mobile A64.)
- What other limitations, concerns, and tips are there?

Also, I know there are definitely faster processors available, but are there ones that are both faster and use around (or less?) power than the current one (such as advances in chip technology since this one was developed?)
(Faster being relative, not literally GHz faster, but can just run stuff quicker, such as games /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />

Thanks a lot
[right][snapback]554745[/snapback][/right]

A mobile Athlon64(Clawhammer) would be the best option to replace the XP-M. It based on the same core/revision as the XP-M so it is certainly to be the most compatible. Newer versions would not work since the laptop has been discontinued and there are no further BIOS updates to support newer processors. So Turions, Semprons wont work.

Check out r3000forums. There is lot of info about upgrading and compatibility for the R3000 series...A quick search turned up these 2 threads...
http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1427' ">http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1427
http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=582' ">http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=582

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information