Increase font size
Topic Title: Sempron for mobile benchmarks
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/23/2005 11:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2005 11:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ghitzah

What's the difference between Sempron for full size notebooks and Sempron for thin and light notebooks, regarding performance?
I saw that in the benchmarks displayed on the www.amd.com the Sempron for full size notebooks 2800+ is compared to Celeron D at 2.8Ghz, and the Sempron for thin and light notebooks with Celeron M at 1.5Ghz. Something is not right here, because 2800+ means that the processor must run like an Intel at 2.8Ghz, but 2800+ is compared with a Celeron at 1.5Ghz.

If I'm not running the notebook (Sempron for thin and light...) on batteries, do I get the full performace like an desktop with sempron?

Thank you.

08/23/2005 11:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
miner

QUOTE(Ghitzah @ Aug 23 2005, 07:21 AM)What's the difference between Sempron for full size notebooks and Sempron for thin and light notebooks, regarding performance?
I saw that in the benchmarks displayed on the www.amd.com the Sempron for full size notebooks 2800+ is compared to Celeron D at 2.8Ghz, and the Sempron for thin and light notebooks with Celeron M at 1.5Ghz. Something is not right here, because 2800+ means that the processor must run like an Intel at 2.8Ghz, but 2800+ is compared with a Celeron at 1.5Ghz.

If I'm not running the notebook (Sempron for thin and light...) on batteries, do I get the full performace like an desktop with sempron?

Thank you.
[right][snapback]487159[/snapback][/right]

Celeron D & Celelron M are based on different processor structures. The Celeron M is just a crippled Pentium M whereas the Celeron D is just a crippled Pentium 4. So even though a Celron M might run at only 1.5GHz it is more or less equivalent to a higher clocked Celeron D. The Semprons are the same for both full sized as well as Thin & lights. The only difference being the max. power consumption(25W for T&Lvs. 62W). You can also get higher spec'd versions of the Sempron for full size compared to the Thin & lights which top out at 3000+.

Yes, if Power Now is enabled then the cpu will clock down to save battery. But the processor can be made to run at full speed. It all depends on the manufacturer of the laptop. Battery life will suffer if power now is disabled.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information