Increase font size
Topic Title: Installing mobile Athlon into socket
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/01/2005 07:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/01/2005 07:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Knut Arne Vedaa

I picked apart an old laptop with an Athlon processor. The processor was quite hard to get out of the socket, and unfortunately even harder to get back in place.

That is: I can slip it very easily INTO the socket, but there seem to be no locker mechanism to keep it in place. In the holes of the socket, there are very small gold cylinders which the processor pins probably went into in the first place - but these are so small it seems impossible to get the pins into them without using enormous amount of force, and I'm afraid to break something.

Any installation guides for this processor?

Knut Arne Vedaa
 10/01/2005 11:15 AM

Author Icon
TLH

There should be a lever on the side of the Ziff socket that needs lifting up to free the pins.Your cpu should just fall out/in without any force then.Just make sure it's in the correct orientation to the socket by lining up the small triangle on the corner.
There should be a video at the main AMD site.Just click on the AMD logo at the top of this page and navigate to find it.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

1100t on M5A99x-EVO with 2x4gb and 6870 running Win7 on Force120 ssd in Corsair 600t cooled by H100. Folding for team 34106
 10/01/2005 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Knut Arne Vedaa

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that there is no lever on the socket, actually there are no moving parts on the socket whatsoever. There is no mechanism to keep the processor in place (aside from a tiny piece of plastic that could have been put between the processor board and the rim of the socket if it was a slight bit tinier).

However, when I pulled out the processor, it WAS very much locked in place. How is a mystery to me.

There are rectangular holes in the socket. There are pieces of golden metal on one side of each rectangular hole. The pins on the processor touch the metal when inserted into the holes. However, there is no mechanism to push the processor pins firmly towards the metal, which I suppose the lever, if there was one, would have done.

But there is not even a trace of one. Strange.

Btw, this is a Packard-Bell laptop, some years old.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information