Increase font size
Topic Title: Windows 64
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/02/2005 06:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/02/2005 06:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
liam.billington

Hi I have the Acer Aspire 5021WMLi. I want to install the trial of XP64 but when I try and d that when it boots up it goes into FreeDos. I don't know why but I thought XP should boot straight away.

I get the A:/ etc so I entered e:setup.exe and it returned by saying that it couldnot run that file in DOS. Am I doing it totally wrong? What should I do for burning my ISO file to CD.
 10/05/2005 12:26 PM

Author Icon
cryonic90

Where did you get that ISO from? Because mine works fine and without any problems
 10/05/2005 04:57 PM

Author Icon
thespin

Appears you have a bum copy of x64 trial ...

-------------------------
Millions daily drive their cars made of 1000s of parts. We study events billions of miles away expecting laws HERE apply equally THERE. The planets, the moons etc move with such precision that we just hit a comet millions of miles away with a probe. ALL of man's technology depend on the precision and invariability of natural laws. How also explain their simplicity and their harmonious integration to form a multifaceted U
 10/06/2005 10:14 AM

Author Icon
ggreggy

QUOTE(thespin @ Oct 5 2005, 02:57 PM)Appears you have a bum copy of x64 trial ...
[right][snapback]517043[/snapback][/right]

so are there any issues with win64? i was thinking of downloading it from microsoft and trying out my turion but i was warned against it because of the lack of driver support.. i have a compaq v2310ca. are you guys having issues with it?
 10/06/2005 05:07 PM

Author Icon
Sake

I'm using it for about 6 months now. But only on my AMD X2 desktop. VMWare virtualizing software runs VERY nice on X2+x64+2gb RAM /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />

But my notebook not yet.
Driver support, especially old proprietary hardware, is sometimes missing. Some tools that work at hardware level are missing for x64 too. Anyway last couple of months there has been great progression. Like there is now WinImage image mount software. I think in about a month's time my notebook (HP NX6125 SXGA+) will run XP x64 and about year after that Vista (MSDN)

Vista will surely make a big difference, because it will be x64 from the very start.

-------------------------
AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core and AMD Turion Mobile Technology entered the building
 10/07/2005 03:47 PM

Author Icon
liam.billington

Got the trial from Microsoft. Its actually PC DOS what comes up /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' /> but it will load up my factory restore CD but not my XP 64 OS.

I have the mobo driver 1.12 it still won't work when I do a CD boot /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

I sent an email to acer support (can't call as I work 9 to 5, get home at 6 and the call centre is only open Mon-Fri 9-5:30) AND they still havn't replied to my email a WEEK later /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

It boots up doin the CD mode says Loading PC DOS, intalling drivers for mouse and keyboard. IBM systems 1986!!!!!!

Then asks me the A:\ when I don't have an A drive /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' /> This is all too confusing for an enthusiast like me /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />
 10/18/2005 09:25 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

QUOTE(liam.billington @ Oct 7 2005, 03:47 PM)Got the trial from Microsoft.  Its actually PC DOS what comes up  /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' /> but it will load up my factory restore CD but not my XP 64 OS.

I have the mobo driver 1.12 it still won't work when I do a CD boot  /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

I sent an email to acer support (can't call as I work 9 to 5, get home at 6 and the call centre is only open Mon-Fri 9-5:30) AND they still havn't replied to my email a WEEK later  /mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

It boots up doin the CD mode says Loading PC DOS, intalling drivers for mouse and keyboard.  IBM systems 1986!!!!!!

Then asks me the A:\ when I don't have an A drive  /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />  This is all too confusing for an enthusiast like me  /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' />
[right][snapback]518366[/snapback][/right]

Win XP 64 is an experiment gone wrong /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' /> . If I were you, I would wait for Vista to hit the shelves first, then go 64-bit with Windows. Or if that doesn't work for you, stick with 32-bit XP Pro /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' /> .
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information