Increase font size
Topic Title: Turion 64 vs. Athlon 64
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/13/2005 06:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/13/2005 06:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Megadeth

My Dad is going to buy an HP notebook, but he has configure one with the Athlon 64 3200+ and the other with the Turion 64 ML-28. What is the advantage of a Turion over an Athlon 64?
 06/13/2005 07:04 AM

Author Icon
JimmyFox

Better thermal behavior.

Turion Max Wattage = 25W/35W
A64 DTR Max Wattage = 89W

-------------------------
AMD Phenom 9750, DFi LanParty UT M2R, 4x1GB TeamGroup Xtreem Dark 1066, Sapphire HD4850, 2xWD Raptor ADFD 74GB, 2x640GB WDC SE16
 06/13/2005 08:27 AM

Author Icon
zincschumacher

A64 for notebooks supposed to be for Desktop displacement...
T64 not.

------Zinc Schumacher------
 06/13/2005 09:25 AM

Author Icon
action man

lower wattage and therefore longer battery life (in theory - until i get my hands on one i cant say for sure) and same performance.
its the direct competitor to the p-m i think. so thin and light laptops generally will have it

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 06/13/2005 09:33 AM

Author Icon
nwo

The advantages are that with a turion you will have:
less power consumption=longer battery life as well as less heat for your lap /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 06/27/2005 01:16 PM

Author Icon
brian.shapiro

What I'm wondering is advantages of Athlon 64 over Turion 64, if someone can help. How do they measure against each other performance-wise, on benchmarks? Including all variations of the processors. I'd be doing a lot of graphics work in Photoshop. I'm also wondering about the video cards that come with each typically, and whether those that come with Athlon 64 are typically more powerful.

I need to get a notebook soon, and it will basically serve as a desktop replacement. I'm not that concerned about battery life, in this case, but the amount of power usage might matter, especially if high power requirements are more likely to cause the notebook to overheat. I would also prefer a smaller notebook, but thats not completely necessary.

My main question, then, as I said, is what advantages Athlon 64 has over Turion 64.

brian.shapiro
 06/28/2005 02:17 PM

Author Icon
bandicoot

QUOTE(brian.shapiro @ Jun 27 2005, 12:16 PM)What I'm wondering is advantages of Athlon 64 over Turion 64, if someone can help. How do they measure against each other performance-wise, on benchmarks? Including all variations of the processors. I'd be doing a lot of graphics work in Photoshop. I'm also wondering about the video cards that come with each typically, and whether those that come with Athlon 64 are typically more powerful.

I need to get a notebook soon, and it will basically serve as a desktop replacement. I'm not that concerned about battery life, in this case, but the amount of power usage might matter, especially if high power requirements are more likely to cause the notebook to overheat. I would also prefer a smaller notebook, but thats not completely necessary.

My main question, then, as I said, is what advantages Athlon 64 has over Turion 64.

brian.shapiro
[right][snapback]446709[/snapback][/right]

I have an athlon64 3200+ winchester and it is pretty awesome. I am going to recieve mL-28 compaq next week sometime. I would suggest you build a desktop solution using the athlon64. You can get retail now for a pretty good price the 3500+. I bought my board hte abit because of the amount of cpus it could handle, i can put an fx an athlon64 and an athlon x2 on my board. I did read that the turion has sse3 instructions and my athlon64 3200 doesnt. I was lookign for benchmarks and i couldnt find any. My turion compaq has 200m xpress ati graphics shared 32mb. I have an allinwonder 9800pro card which is awesome. I am going to be using my laptop for school and so forth is why i bought it. You can get a retail versin of the cpu for $190 bucks at http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?key=CU-131-111' ">http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?key=CU-131-111 and my cpu has stock heatsink fan that came with it and it has never gone over 60C. It is hot as [content edited] out and my case temp is 43C and my cpu's top temp is 57C. I would think that this will be the hottest my cpu will ever get becuase i was playing star wars too and having no air conditioning in hte apartment. It usually is a lot cooler, like in the winter it usually is 49C, usually it stays 10-12C over the case temperature so in winter when it is 34-6C case temp cpu is usually 47-50C. And the fan is usually on 2200rpms and it is quiet too.

3200+ winchester
abit av8 3rd-eye k8t800pro chipset
4 x 512mb pc3200 dual channeled
36 gb raptor drive 10k
74 gb raptor drive 10k
250gb caviar 7200 8mb cache western digital
9800pro all-in-wonder ATI
TDK 12x dVDRW
Liteon 16x DVDROM
7-1 reader Mitsumi
Foxconn tooless case diabolic
500w mge vigor powersupply with 2 fans 120mm and 80mm
Samsung 19" syncmaster
xp pro
x64 pro
 06/28/2005 02:45 PM

Author Icon
brian.shapiro

bandicoot,

Well I need a notebook, thats has some graphics capability, and I'm not going to buy a desktop in addition, so I was just wondering about capabilities as a desktop replacement. I assume that the Turion 64 is slower, and doesn't support as high end graphics. I was wondering how much so, so thats why I was asking about benchmarks. I would like the notebook to last a decent amount of years, so at least have one that is ready for the Longhorn and its graphics demands for the full experience, when that comes out in the next few years. I know the Athlon 64 takes more power and generates more heat, so I was wondering, in a notebook, whether that would be a good idea. Previously, I've had an Athlon notebook that constantly had problems with power and the logic board being fried. Of course, that was a Compaq Presario, which I hear typically have problems, so I'm wondering if this is just a risk of not buying a mobile proccessor.

brian.shapiro
 06/29/2005 02:35 AM

Author Icon
cyberjunkie

This might seem off the topic, but has anyone tried installing a Turion on a desktop based motherboard? I mean, like we all used to love the AXP 2500+ mobile cause it overclocked a lot better because of the unlocked multipliers and also produced much less heat. These things seem to apply for the Turion as well.
 06/30/2005 11:34 PM

Author Icon
MMB088

QUOTE(JimmyFox @ Jun 13 2005, 03:04 AM)Better thermal behavior.

Turion Max Wattage = 25W/35W
A64 DTR Max Wattage = 89W
[right][snapback]436503[/snapback][/right]

The mobile A64s are supposed to be around 50-60watts. Slightly less than their desktop counterparts but still not like the turion which is designed to compete with the Pentium M.

Opie and Anthony on XM Satelite Radio!

Now also on FM stations in NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, Rochester, Columbus OH, Cleveland, Detroit, West Palm Beach, Dallas, Chicago, San Fran and some other cities, their pretty much nationwide now, google it.

http://www.opieandanthony.com/

The Virus is spreading..... get infected
 06/30/2005 11:37 PM

Author Icon
bandicoot

QUOTE(MMB088 @ Jun 30 2005, 10:34 PM)The mobile A64s are supposed to be around 50-60watts. Slightly less than their desktop counterparts but still not like the turion which is designed to compete with the Pentium M.
[right][snapback]450059[/snapback][/right]

MIne just shipped from china!!! I should receive it tuesday. I dont think i will recieve it tomorrow. Ahead of schedule it was supposed to be shippedo n the 7th it is always good to get the email of shipped early /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information