Increase font size
Topic Title: Cool'n'Quiet vs PowerNow
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/03/2005 04:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/03/2005 04:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Roughneck

I'm confused as to whether Cool'n'Quiet and PowerNow are the same animal, similar animals, or totally different animals. I'm also a little confused as to which term/technology is used with which CPU -- I'm particularly interested in the Desktop Athlon 64 vs the Notebook Athlon 64.

e.g. When selecting AMD's link for Product Information, two of the main CPU categories displayed are Desktop Processors and Mobile Processors. Under Desktop Processors, there is a link titled Athlon 64. When selecting that link, it lists just one processor, the 4000+, and says it uses the Cool'n'Quiet technology. Under Mobile Processors, there's a link titled Athlon 64 for Notebooks. When selecting that link, it lists four processors (3700+, 3400+, 3200+, and 3000+) and says they use the PowerNow technology. So far, so good. /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />

But... at the store, I was looking at a Compaq Presario with labeling that doesn't jive with the above info at AMD's web site. i.e. One label says the laptop has an Athlon 64 3200+ Notebook CPU. According to the links at AMD's web site, this CPU should use PowerNow -- but another label on the laptop says it uses Cool'n'Quiet, which according to AMD's web site, is the technology used with the desktop version of the Athlon 64.

So... I'm confused. Is there a physical or technical difference between the Athlon 64 listed under Desktop processors and the Athlon 64s listed under Mobile processors at AMD's web site? If so, do they use different power managemanet and cooling technologies, or do they use the same technologies -- just under different names? If there is a difference between the Athlon 64 listed under Desktop processors and those listed under Mobile processors, does the Cool'n'Quiet label I found on the laptop at the store, indicate the laptop might have the wrong processor? The sales people at the store had no clue -- not even their people on the "GeeK Squad".

One last note -- Under the Mobile Processor category at AMD's web site, they also have a link titled Mobile Athlon 64. It lists just one CPU speed -- 3700+, and says it uses the PowerNow technology. Where does this one fit in?

07/05/2005 04:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
WoolyMammoth

QUOTE(Roughneck @ Jul 3 2005, 12:50 PM)I'm confused as to whether Cool'n'Quiet and PowerNow are the same animal, similar animals, or totally different animals.  I'm also a little confused as to which term/technology is used with which CPU -- I'm particularly interested in the Desktop Athlon 64 vs the Notebook Athlon 64.

e.g.  When selecting AMD's link for Product Information, two of the main CPU categories displayed are Desktop Processors and Mobile Processors.  Under Desktop Processors, there is a link titled Athlon 64.  When selecting that link, it lists just one processor, the 4000+, and says it uses the Cool'n'Quiet technology.  Under Mobile Processors, there's a link titled Athlon 64 for Notebooks.  When selecting that link, it lists four processors (3700+, 3400+, 3200+, and 3000+) and says they use the PowerNow technology.  So far, so good.  /cool.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='cool.gif' />

But... at the store, I was looking at a Compaq Presario with labeling that doesn't jive with the above info at AMD's web site.  i.e.  One label says the laptop has an Athlon 64 3200+ Notebook CPU.  According to the links at AMD's web site, this CPU should use PowerNow -- but another label on the laptop says it uses Cool'n'Quiet, which according to AMD's web site, is the technology used with the desktop version of the Athlon 64.

So... I'm confused.  Is there a physical or technical difference between the Athlon 64 listed under Desktop processors and the Athlon 64s listed under Mobile processors at AMD's web site?  If so, do they use different power managemanet and cooling technologies, or do they use the same technologies -- just under different names?  If there is a difference between the Athlon 64 listed under Desktop processors and those listed under  Mobile processors, does the Cool'n'Quiet label I found on the laptop at the store, indicate the laptop might have the wrong processor?  The sales people at the store had no clue -- not even their people on the "GeeK Squad".

One last note -- Under the Mobile Processor category at AMD's web site, they also have a link titled Mobile Athlon 64.  It lists just one CPU speed -- 3700+, and says it uses the PowerNow technology.  Where does this one fit in?
[right][snapback]451770[/snapback][/right]

From what I can tell PowerNow and Cool'n'Quiet are the same thing - it's just marketing.

AFAIK, all the mobile processors (81.5W Desktop replacements, 62W mobile and 35/25W Low Power) use PowerNow which allows multiple power states and also supports Sleep states.

The desktop processors use Cool'n'Quiet which again supports multiple power states but not the Sleep states.

In truth, the cores are probably identical but those that can run at lower power are cherry-picked for the mobiles.

The Compaq you looked at is actually using a desktop processor as it is a socket 939 chip and all the mobile CPU's are socket 754 (at the moment).

Hope this helped.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information