Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with Sempron 2800+ in Windows XP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/09/2005 01:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/09/2005 01:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
oscarh13

I'm having some troubles with the clock speed detection on Windows XP. I have a Mobile AMD Sempron 2800+ processor, which is supposed to run @ 1600 Mhz (just as AMD specs and my BIOS say). However, when I go to Control Panel>System, it appears that my processor is running @ 800 Mhz, and this extremely SLOW speed is driving me nuts because it takes hours even to open a Firefox window!! /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

I've checked my computer from viruses using Kaspersky AV, and from spyware with lots of different programs, but that doesn't seem to be the problem... I've also formatted my computer and installed all the drivers manually, but again, that doesn't solve anything.. /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />

/excl.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='excl.gif' /> I currently have Windows XP Professional v. 2002 Service Pack 2, and PhoenixBIOS v. 3A18. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3000.

I would really appreciate any help!!!

Oscarh /happy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='happy.gif' />
 12/10/2005 01:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
miner

QUOTE(oscarh13 @ Dec 9 2005, 10:42 AM)I'm having some troubles with the clock speed detection on Windows XP. I have a Mobile AMD Sempron 2800+ processor, which is supposed to run @ 1600 Mhz (just as AMD specs and my BIOS say). However, when I go to Control Panel>System, it appears that my processor is running @ 800 Mhz, and this extremely SLOW speed is driving me nuts because it takes hours even to open a Firefox window!!  /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />

I've checked my computer from viruses using Kaspersky AV, and from spyware with lots of different programs, but that doesn't seem to be the problem... I've also formatted my computer and installed all the drivers manually, but again, that doesn't solve anything..  /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />

/excl.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='excl.gif' /> I currently have Windows XP Professional v. 2002 Service Pack 2, and PhoenixBIOS v. 3A18. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 3000.

I would really appreciate any help!!!

Oscarh /happy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='happy.gif' />
[right][snapback]563649[/snapback][/right]

Are you sure that its not PowerNow which slows the cpu speed and thereby makes the laptops run cooler and saves battery life?? Also Windows System Info menu sometimes does not show the max speed but just the current speed. Download AMD Dashboard, it will show real time clock speeds on your cpu. If any of this does not resolve your issue then try setting the Power scheme settings to Always On. This should disable PowerNow and set your processor speed to 1600MHz.

If even this fails then uninstall the processor driver and check with the standard windows driver.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information