Increase font size
Topic Title: Application to Monitor CPU Temperatures
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/04/2006 09:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2006 09:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Kupak

Hi,
I was wondering what application(s) you use to monitor your CPU temperatures accurately. I know that MBM5 is out there as well as Speedfan and Everest (commercial), but unfortunately, MBM5 has been discontinued for some time so probably won't be able to work well. Also, there's an issue that's AMD specifc. Which temp sensor should be read? I read over here (http://www.ocforums.com/showth...amp;highlight=monitor) the following:

"My understanding is that the BIOS reads yet a 3rd temp sensor and this is the sensor reported by all of the motherboard monitor programs that don't go out and read them directly (the only 2 that will do that that I know of right now are the latest version of everest and this program - CoreTemp). (This 3rd sensor IS calibrated). Since the BIOS does not execute idle cycles, it'll read high and can not be compared to the value in windows. MBM5, SpeedFan, Everest, etc. should all read the same unless they are adding a scale or offset to the BIOS readings (calibration factors can be added in both programs -- the calibration added by MB manufacturers is not necessarily that precise). The 3 speed fan readings are not these diodes. They are most likely your CPU, your MB, and your chipset."

Why should it be calibrated? Does that mean that the CPU is actually hotter than the BIOS reports? Which app do you use to accurately read CPU temperatures?
 11/06/2006 12:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
aggiebroz

i've used most of the programs you listed to check cpu temps and most of them seem to read the same and be acurate with the AMD K8 cpus(i don't know about older types). most if not all of these programs should be reading the temp sensor that is in the cpu die and if i remember corectly i was told that AMD's don't require any kind of offset or anything like that. but there is always the possiblity that a program could be reading a motherboard mounted sensor.

to make sure you are getting an acurate readign you could download AMD dashboard demos from AMD's website and compair what it reports to the other programs.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information