Increase font size
Topic Title: Need help buying 1st laptop
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2006 10:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2006 10:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dboy1

Hello all!

I built my current desktop: An AMD Athlon XP 1800+

My current graphics card is an 8x AGP ATI Radeon 9200 w/128 MB.

I have 1 Gig of 333 speed RAM. ( I think that it's 333 speed).

I want to upgrade my machine to play Oblivion and I'm thinking about going the laptop route instead. I am looking at an HP 3000Z with 2 Gigs of DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB)

I am "old-school" in that I look at the 1800+ and think "that's the same as an Intel 1.8 GHz chip".

How can I tell what the Intel GHz would be for an AMD Turino X2? Is a AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-52(1.6GHz/512KB) comparable to an Intel chip that runs at 5.2 GHz?

Oblivion is recommended for 3 GHz and up. Would that CPU work for me?

Also, the graphics card for the HP laptop is "NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 6150". Would this be able to handle Oblivion? I'm having trouble comparing the 6150 to other NVIDIA products. Does the chip use my RAM because the "video card" is built into the motherboard, so there's no memory on the card?

Thanks for any and all help. The new numbering systems for AMD and Intel are confusing to me (I just want to see the XXXX+ numbers so I can have an idea of what I'm buying).

Thanks gang!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information