Increase font size
Topic Title: Powernow in a not administrator account
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/04/2006 01:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/04/2006 01:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Boooooo

Hi, i have Mobile Sempron 3000+ with latest AMD CPU driver installed.
I use RMclock in my administrator account for better saving power.
But i recently made another account (not administrator one) that doesn't uses RMclock and i notice that CPU is always set-up to it's highest value; why?. Should Powernow tecnology low the frequency?
 12/05/2006 05:31 AM

Author Icon
Boooooo

UP!

Is it possible that no one realized that in a not administrator account CPU is always fixed to it's maximum value? Doesn't your battery last less?
 12/05/2006 04:29 PM

Author Icon
miner

quote:

Originally posted by: Boooooo
UP!

Is it possible that no one realized that in a not administrator account CPU is always fixed to it's maximum value? Doesn't your battery last less?

Have you tried disabling RM Clock and then checking to see if Powernow works in the limited account. AFAIK, there shouldnt be any problems with Powernow in a limited account but if you or RM Clock changed any of the power management settings then it might have an impac on Powernow since RM Clock is basically substituting it.

-------------------------
HP Pavilion TX2500..AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-86, 3GB DDR2 800, 320GB 5400rpm SATA, ATi Radeon HD3200/M780G.
 12/05/2006 04:58 PM

Author Icon
Boooooo

Now i have discovered the problem: even in my limited account Powernow is working fine but the concomitant
uses of CPUidle (a program that send continuous HLT command to CPU to cool it) makes the CPU working at the top frequency. In my Admin account in which I uses RMclock and CPUidle i did not realize of this behaviour simply because RMclock limited the CPU frequency (in other words: even in my admin account CPU would be set to its highest value if i disable RMclock and leave CPUidle active)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information