AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: tried to upgrade processor drive...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/05/2006 06:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2006 06:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gynophobia

hey im new here... hope this goes in this forum... eh anyways...

i tried to upgrade my processor drive (amd turion 64 mobile) and well... i created a system restore point then i successfuly upgraded it then i tried to upgrade my graphics card... kinda messed up with that so i tried to use system restore to go back to before everything... but when i tried to unistall my processor again this time it shows this:

and it wont let me unistall it at all... i tried to do it from the device manager also.. but it doesnt work from there either... am i screwed? .... any help is very much appreciated...

---------------------------
edit: hmm... no reply yet... im sorry if this is a vague description but this is exactly what i did... does system restore not work on uninstallations/installations or something? ... if you need info on something specific let me know ...

---------------------------
edit edit: ... v-views... no replies.........
 12/06/2006 03:58 PM

Author Icon
gynophobia

someone please... i dont like leaving my processor in this condition .... is there some way to manually uninstall it? ... like go somewhere and delete files or something? ...

-----------------
edit: in case that all that didnt make sense... all i want to do is uninstall my old processor driver... but i am unable to from add/remove programs or from the device manager...
 12/06/2006 07:15 PM

Author Icon
gynophobia

well... after mant hours of searching the internet for solutions and implementing them... i finally got it to work... this explanation is for anyone having this problem.. so heres what i did to resolve it:

1) i went to C:\WINDOWS\inf (was hidden so make hidden files visible by going to "tools" then "folder options") and searched for files that had "oem" in the name and had the phrase "amdk8" in it. you should only find one file, delete it and its accompanying .pnf file.

2) then go to run and type "regedit" and then delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SOFTWARE|AMD|CPU (i exported this first cuz i heard its kinda dangerous dealing with the registry)

3) at this point i guess the files needed for the drive have been manually deleted. i then went to the device manager, went down to processor, and uninstalled it.

4) ????

5) PROFIT!!! (lol.. sup /b/) ... eh... ahem... after rebooting i was now able to update the processor drive by opening the driver update i DLed from the AMD site...

so all in all im happy now.. but remember i mentioned i wasnt able to uninstall it from the add/remove programs thingy? ... well i guess i didnt look too good before but that entry isnt for my processor.. it says Athalon 64 processor driver... i dont have that.. i have a turion... so if anyone knows how to get rid of this (cuz when i try to unistall it i get that pic in my first post) id appreciate it very much because i want my comp nice and clean ....

-------------------------
edit: wow... now another problem > > ... screen savers dont really load... well.. they do but... while i leave my comp and the screen saver loads, the comp will act as if someone touched the mouse... thus stopping the screen saver... any explanation for this would be appreciated... sigh...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information