Increase font size
Topic Title: Turion 64bit x2 for Acer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/01/2006 03:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/01/2006 03:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
{tek(dude)}

back in february i started learning about the AMD Turion 64bit x2 mobile processor and learned that AMD will be releasing it for Acer, and many other companys, but im mainly focusing on acer. I'm looking for a Mainstream Multimedia Notebook it is now early august and only two computers from acer have the Turion processor so far. i have looked at many HP notebooks but have my sights set on acer. the only acer notebooks that have it are the Farrari, and aspire 5000, the Fararri is out of my price range and the 5000 is a pretty bad notebook other than the processor.

does anyone know of any date that acer will have more notebooks equiped with the turion x2? i've heard by October 23rd AMD will be releasing to a wider range, but thats it.

i have been waiting for a while and getting annoyed, please post if you know anything on this subject

-------------------------
Asks for help sometimes, gives help a lot.
 08/01/2006 07:22 PM

Author Icon
Turion_64

Hi,

I would wait it out a bit.

I purchased a Turion 64 HP laptop back in December... Since Turion 64 X2 is fairly new and you like Acer a lot, I would recommend waiting till next year.

Why,

I have found through many reviews that most Turion laptops are the same outside of chipsets. I have been so lucky to find that my laptop can run any 64 bit OS out there without much problem finding drivers.

Not all laptops are as lucky.

Second, my laptop is about the same as a Farrari without the high price. The only difference is that it uses ATI chipset (Video included) and it does not have carbon fibre body.

Since ATI has been aquired by AMD, there may be intergrated benefits that other chipsets cannot compete with. To give an example... Turions integrated memory controller the latency is so much lower, that memory is actualy quicker than overclocking memory to a higher speed. Note: Overclocking must be compensated by changing memory timings to a higher setting (which slows down total bandwidth) . Example my laptop beats some P4's using dual channel DDR2-533 and dual channel DDR-400 on bandwidth. As for latency it is one of the fastest against any AMD64 cpu and P4s.

Another item to note is not all laptops have 100% DirectX 9 compatibility... Vista requires it for some visual options, but it is not really needed.

I would have waited for an x2 but there is still room for improvement and there is no x2 laptop with 17 inch widescreen and full keyboard with numeric key pad. Maybe next year.
 08/01/2006 07:27 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

quote:

Originally posted by: Turion_64 Hi,
I would have waited for an x2 but there is still room for improvement and there is no x2 laptop with 17 inch widescreen and full keyboard with numeric key pad. Maybe next year.

apparently, Dell is coming out with a 17 inch Turion X2 in December
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060731PR208.html

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 08/01/2006 09:01 PM

Author Icon
jetguy35

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
apparently, Dell is coming out with a 17 inch Turion X2 in December
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060731PR208.html

It's about time dell releases some AMD based computers. They were missing a huge marketing segment. They will drive up sales immenslly by adding AMD's processors to their products.
 08/01/2006 10:13 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

yep. it was either that or go bankrupt. they've been losing market share like crazy to HP while being stuck with intel's unpopular tech.

good thing they woke up and decided to offer what the market demanded.

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 08/02/2006 12:31 AM

Author Icon
F15HP

Do you think prices for Dell AMD systems will be more expensive or least expensive than the Intel ships

<br>HP DV2125nr AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 4GB RAM, 120GB 5400 rpm HD, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 128MB
 08/02/2006 12:46 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

well the current dell laptops are 32 bit core duos so i wouldnt want that.
looking at 64 bit it would be turion or the soon to be released core 2 duo laptops (merom)
merom is going to be pretty scarce so i'm guessing they are going to be more expensive than the turions.

08/02/2006 10:04 AM

Author Icon
jetguy35

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
well the current dell laptops are 32 bit core duos so i wouldnt want that.
looking at 64 bit it would be turion or the soon to be released core 2 duo laptops (merom)
merom is going to be pretty scarce so i'm guessing they are going to be more expensive than the turions.

I would say that the intel based computers will be more expensive. Intel always has been more expensive than AMD. Not to mention that when the new 64 bit intel chip comes out, it will probably be a couple hundred dollars more expensive than the 64 bit AMD's.
 08/03/2006 04:53 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

Pricing for Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo will be at parity for a given operating frequency.

Marketing and demand will decide the end pricing...but you can bet that the AMD vs Intel pricing will still favor AMD, albeit with the difficulty in comparing apples and oranges...

My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information