Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with athlon 64 M 3000+ AND KN8S PRO
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/03/2006 08:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/03/2006 08:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
freddiv

I am having trouble with getting my new build computer to recognize my hard disks consistently enough to install the OS (XP PRO) correctly.

Even when booting from a drive with XP already installed the other hard drive will sometimes "dissapear" from windows explorer.

I have changed hard drives, sata cables, which sata connector it is plugged into, the ram.

The bios will somtimes recogize the drives and sometimes not and I have to reboot.

All the drives tried were seagate 80 gig drives but two different models.

Could this be a power supply or CPU issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank,
Frederick
 05/03/2006 09:35 AM

Author Icon
ric926

make sure your bios is up to date or flash it with the most recent update, and install the latest drivers for your hard drives (you dont say if they are ide or sata) also check for a virius that will cause items to disappear and reappear in the device mgr / explorer
r
 05/03/2006 10:20 AM

Author Icon
freddiv

quote:

Originally posted by: ric926
make sure your bios is up to date or flash it with the most recent update, and install the latest drivers for your hard drives (you dont say if they are ide or sata) also check for a virius that will cause items to disappear and reappear in the device mgr / explorer
r

The drives are sata.

The virus issue is a non issue it is a fresh install of XP with no connections to other pcs, the internet, or files/applications loaded.

The drives do not list any driver loading in the install instructions so I am guessing that is a non issue.

The bios is my guess as to the culprit. because that is where I see the problem manifest most often (no hard dive is listed as the bios displays the drive scan half the time.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information