Increase font size
Topic Title: PowerNow working the wrong way
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/20/2006 05:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/20/2006 05:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hSU

My Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi laptop's PowerNow function doesn't seem to work correctly. I'm using the latest driver for the processor (1.3.1.0). I checked the core speed with AMD Power Monitor and found out that if I have enabled the "Portable/Laptop" power scheme in Power Options and I'm running on batteries, the PowerNow function seems to be off (core frequency 2000 MHz and 1.350V voltage). When I plug my laptop to AC power the PowerNow function turns on and the core frequency drops to 800 MHz! Isn't this supposed to be the other way around?

Below is a list of the PowerNow status for each Power scheme on my system:
(Scheme: Plugged In - Running on batteries)
Home/Office Desk: Off - On
Portable/Laptop: On - Off (!?)
Presentation: On - On
Always On: Off - Off
Minimal Power Mgmt.: On - On
Max Battery: On - On

Can someone verify if these are the default settings? And if there is a way to configure the PowerNow state for power schemes please let me know!
 05/24/2006 05:31 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

This isn't the first time I've heard about this phenomenon...and I think it was an Acer also...and I never heard of a fix other than to uninstall the PowerNow drivers, and install RMClock. It has worked for many, as well as the previous person with the problem. It must be something in the BIOS of the laptop miswritten...

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 05/25/2006 06:17 AM

Author Icon
hSU

quote:

Originally posted by: kirbalo
This isn't the first time I've heard about this phenomenon...and I think it was an Acer also...and I never heard of a fix other than to uninstall the PowerNow drivers, and install RMClock. It has worked for many, as well as the previous person with the problem. It must be something in the BIOS of the laptop miswritten...

Because the PowerNow state seems to depend on which power profile I have selected in Windows XP, it's hard to believe that BIOS would be causing this. I mean if BIOS was the cause of this problem, I assume that the PowerNow function would be either constantly on or off.

If I create a new power profile in Windows XP, I cannot select whether I want the PowerNow feature to be in use or not. And unfortunately it isn't by default, at least in my system... I would guess that the problem is either bad PowerNow drivers for WinXP or some kind of an bug in the operating system itself.

By the way, isn't it so that in Win9x/2000 environments you have an extra PowerNow tab in Power options window where you can choose how the PowerNow works? If it is then I don't understand why AMD hasn't kept this functionality in the WinXP driver version..
 05/26/2006 04:21 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

quote:

Originally posted by: hSU
~SNIP~
I would guess that the problem is either bad PowerNow drivers for WinXP or some kind of an bug in the operating system itself.
~SNIP

Then it wouldn't work in ANY Windows XP laptop with a Turion...and that's simply not the case. Everyone uses the same drivers, and same operating system, so to speak. The variables are in the OEM supplied firmware/software/hardware...

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information